What The Heck Is This?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

zeo

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi,

Having checked my tanks stats daily, I noticed my ammonia down to 0 over the last 2 days and decided to get my first fish.

My very own little NEMO :p clown fish.

P1010148.jpg

Seems happy, althru it took me 30mins to get that picture. The lil fella moves so quick all the other pics were all blured smears of him/her swimming away.

I did also pick up another piece of LR. This one seems to have more life on it then the previous ones. The tank was basically covered in some small types of (what i am guessing) anemones. Pretty small bunches, but with long necks. Growing on the glass aswell as covering most of the LR.

Anyway here's a pic of it.
P1010133.jpg

Is that a sponge? also what is the black thing? was kinda slimy to the touch. Also the green plant seems to have small green ball/pod type things growing from it.

P1010147.jpg

5mins after i put the sponge in, it started to turn brown :S. Is this a normal reaction from moving tanks?

P1010132.jpg

10mins after.

15mins after slowly lighten up back to the first pic, but seems to be the same.

If anyone can give me any info on whats growing on the LR I'll much appreciate it.
E.G> is this a bad sponge? (heard some sponges are really toxic and will kill itself and everything in the tank also if aggrivated). :crazy:

those little anemones.... search on google images or something for aiptasia anemone.

yep thanx m8 thats the one.Anyone know anything about the black and yellow stuff? Is it actually a sponge?LOL just read up on the aiptasia anemone, when I brought the LR home I was wishing some of it survived. And now I'm reading its a pest and ways to kill it.

yep a pest that will spread like wildfire!

vinegar or lemon juice will kill it!!

being suck a common pest there are many ways to kill it

Kalk injection
Joes juice
lemon juice
boiling water
vinigar
peppermint shrimp
theres a nudi-branch that eats it but i forget what its called

aiptasia!!!!!..lol.....nevermind.... -_-

anways... :lol:

The yellow dude there is a sponge. I have some in my tank too. They make nice accent points.
The black guy are a lot of times called black coralline algae but it is actually a sponge.

You sure got a spongy rock!!!

The yellow stuff is a sponge and pretty sure the black stuff is too.

Don't know about 'bad' sponges (apart from when my two little lads have been in the bath!), but generally the advice with any sponge is not to expose it to air at all - can't easily rid itself of trapped air and can decay where air is trapped - this may be the reason for the colour change.

Keep an eye on it and so long as it settles down it'll probably be okay. I have some that was out the tank for a while as I didn't know it was there and it seems to have done alright.

The green stuff is probably caulerpa - a goodie - helps reduce nitrates/phosphates (one or the other!)

Although the green bubbles attached to it might be bubble algae - bit of a pest. Try and see if the green bubbles will pull off (gently) and chuck them away or else you tank will fill with them over time. Mind you don't burst any though, as they're full of spores and you'll speed up the spread. Emerald crabs will eat bubble algae I beleive.

Others may add to the above I'm sure, (or correct any misinformation!).

Edit - beat me to it Danno!

yea he seems fine. I gave him some brine shrimp last night, and was happily munching it up.

Btw apart from brineshrimp, what else should I feed my clownfish?

Would small chunks of tuna in brine do? FW rivershrimps?

Do u turn your powerheads off when feeding non-live food?

My clown will eat pretty much anything, chopped mussels, cyclops, brine shrimp, mysis, krill and dried food are what i alternate between. I wouldn't feed anything that wasn't specifically for aquarium food however.

I always feed with the powerheads on.

Looks like the clown might of had a tough time in the store, i'm sure it'll perk up with some good care :)

what the heck are cyclops? I keep seeing them meantioned on the forum, but never seen a pic.

Did do a search on google, but came up with mythological monsters.. I doubt my clown can eat that.

mmm, delicious mythical monsters

Cyclops is short for Cyclopeeze

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back