What The Heck Is This On My Java Ferns?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

372xp

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
From the topic title you might have imagined I have only just noticed this, not the case I have just got round to mentioning it.
I also have diatoms on my anubias, this is a mature tank and they have only appeared in the last few weeks.
I use flourish excell and api plant food, no additional CO2. The tank has 2 new T5's one white one blue. Lights on 8 hours.

Have the diatoms and other algae appeared since you got the new lights?
What lights did you have before?

yes. same lights just new bulbs. There was an ottocinculus in this tank but she was very old and died. So other than 3 shrimp there is nothing to eat the algae (tank is 40ltrs 3 shrimp 1 HM male betta).

Diatoms in a mature tank are caused by too much light, the Otto must have been taking care of that for you, I can't tell what's up with the fern but its almost certainly light related. It looks like bba which is caused by low co2 but that is a symptom of too much light.
I would suggest try lower the light intensity if you can.

You should not be running a actinic bulb(blue) in a freshwater tank unless your trying to grow algae. That wavelength is specific for saltwater only.

Also tank size, bulb wattage, HO or NO would help.

flamethrower3000 said:
You should not be running a actinic bulb(blue) in a freshwater tank unless your trying to grow algae. That wavelength is specific for saltwater only.

I thought this might be the case, didnt know about the algae bit though. I got the tank second hand and since it isnt really suitable for marine I just kinda went with the blue light, even replacing it last month. Thing is algae hasnt been a problem until recently. Could this be why my pants dont do to well accept for the spiralis which goes nuts.

Can't really see clearly from the picture, but java fern is prone to producing plantlets off it's leaves. Can look like algae as it starts. Makes for a messy plant but you do end up with lots of small plants.

flamethrower3000 said:

There's plenty of evidence to the contrary on the internet. I just did a quick Google search for "blue light bulb planted aquarium"
Also blue light doesnt encourage algae growth

Not plantlets Dr Rob, infact this fern has never thrown any plantlets. All my others have and I am harvesting a few every week just to tidy up This photo might be better.
levahe said:
There's plenty of evidence to the contrary on the internet. I just did a quick Google search for "blue light bulb planted aquarium"
Also blue light doesnt encourage algae growth
Good because changing the tubes in this tank is a right pain in the bum. There is a blue tube and a white tube and a blue led when the tubes are off, you can run blue+white or just white. I tend to run both as I am guessing the light intensity might be better for the plants.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back