The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

steppy104

Grarr
Reaction score
Photo0028.jpg

Photo0014.jpg

these are the best pics i can get from them. they're afraid of the cam :rolleyes:

i bought them at meijers, in taylor michigan. i was there when they were unloading a new shipment of goldfish they had. the bags had about 50 goldfish in them, and with each bag was 1-3 of these things...they weren't ment to come with them. so i bought 2 of these things for about 15 cents each. they eat flake food, but they especially love it when i buy feeders. they eat about 3 in a day. (as far as i've seen so far...maybe more) they call the feeders "rosies" and they are about the size of minnows. they barelty fit in the unknown fish's mouth, yet they continue to eat about 3.

they're body color is a brown/grey color. the dot is right on the tip of their gills, and it's black with a brown/gold outline. when getting in a tangle with another fish in the tank, they flare their gills out a little. they are about 2 inches long. they're still the same size as when i got them.

i am keeping them in a 40gal tank, with a gourami, about the same size as them, and 3 tin foil barbs. also in there, is a catfish and a pleco, both about 6-8inches long.

well, am i missing anything you might need to know??? i tried to put as much info about them as possible...but i'm still probably missing something. do any of you know what they are? thanks for the help :D

well...i've never heard that suggestion before :unsure:

lol. my dad swears that they are a type of bass. many people insist that it is a bluegill of some sort. i found a pic online that looks ALOT like these things....but i can't match the picture to the name. here is a list of all the names to these bass pictured: Alabama Spotted Bass, Florida Largemouth Bass, Guadalupe Bass, Largemouth Bass, Northern Spotted Bass, Redeye Bass, Roanoke Bass, Rock Bass, Shoal Bass, Smallmouth Bass, Striped Bass, Suwanee Bass, White Bass, White Perch, White Rock, and last but not least Yellow Bass.
i just don't know which one goes to which picture :grr:

freshwater_bass_NA.jpg

the one they look like is in the right column, third from the bottom.

The body looks to streamlined to be a type of Bluegill.

Looks to me to be a Lepomis microlophus or Redear sunfish. They reach 9-11", they have specailized teeth for crushing snails and are good predators. Nice fish. :)

steppy104 said:
i don't believe mine have teeth....lemme check...

nope....no teeth
At that size I should think you would see them and they are not like ours on the jaw line! :lol:

I am still pretty much sure that it is Lepomis microlophus or Redear sunfish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back