What the heck is this fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Shadowlark

Reaction score
Hi! I recently started aquarium keeping. I decided to start off bigger. I have a 60 gallon tank thatā€™s slowly getting filled. It currently has male guppies, Kuhli loaches, some baby mollies, and mystery snails. It also has live plants. So I was looking at the tank one day and saw the tiniest little fish with bright blue eyes. Like a couple mm big. I double checked but all my guppies are male and at the time, the molly babies were like a week or two old.

Initially, when I was trying to cycle the tank, I just poured the water from my local fish store into the tank. I figured maybe it had good bacteria. Iā€™m thinking maybe it came from there?

I finally caught it and put it in a breeder basket so I could specially feed it. Itā€™s been slowly getting bigger over the last week. But I just saw a second one in the main tank! I was able to snatch it and drop it in there. Itā€™s about half the size of the first one.

What the heck are these fish? Are these just micro fish Iā€™ve never heard about or are these really little fry from something? šŸ˜‚ Help! (My phone really wonā€™t focus on these little guys so the pictures are blurry. Sorry!)

Attachments

• 8BEEAA0F-8884-43F9-AE2F-A0B113108D37.jpeg
    8BEEAA0F-8884-43F9-AE2F-A0B113108D37.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 70
  • A3B1FDF4-6EFB-405D-BC36-24221F1D6280.jpeg
    A3B1FDF4-6EFB-405D-BC36-24221F1D6280.jpeg
    161.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 2FF85EAB-2CC6-4F44-958F-7C155B295340.jpeg
    2FF85EAB-2CC6-4F44-958F-7C155B295340.jpeg
    404.8 KB · Views: 65
Hi! I recently started aquarium keeping. I decided to start off bigger. I have a 60 gallon tank thatā€™s slowly getting filled. It currently has male guppies, Kuhli loaches, some baby mollies, and mystery snails. It also has live plants. So I was looking at the tank one day and saw the tiniest little fish with bright blue eyes. Like a couple mm big. I double checked but all my guppies are male and at the time, the molly babies were like a week or two old.

Initially, when I was trying to cycle the tank, I just poured the water from my local fish store into the tank. I figured maybe it had good bacteria. Iā€™m thinking maybe it came from there?

I finally caught it and put it in a breeder basket so I could specially feed it. Itā€™s been slowly getting bigger over the last week. But I just saw a second one in the main tank! I was able to snatch it and drop it in there. Itā€™s about half the size of the first one.

What the heck are these fish? Are these just micro fish Iā€™ve never heard about or are these really little fry from something? šŸ˜‚ Help! (My phone really wonā€™t focus on these little guys so the pictures are blurry. Sorry!)
Most likely fish fry... Cant really identify them at such a young age but it looks like they have some blue on em... Also just so you know, kuhli loaches like soft water while mollies, platies, and guppies (all the ies lol) like hard water... Some have had success keeping them in soft but hard water fish NEED hard water...

I just poured the water from my local fish store into the tank. I figured maybe it had good bacteria.
You never, EVER want to pour store water into an aquarium... Most local fish stores are pretty clean but things happen in fish stores like diseases a lot that can come into your tank... Try not to do that
Oh, that is good to know. So they wonā€™t do well in hard water at all? I have it at 15GH right now. šŸ˜…
YIKES! Thats cichlid hard water... Jeez! Yeah, I would take the loaches out sadly... Unless someone with more knowledge than me has some extra ideas on what to do...

Well maybe that extra tank that was quarantine can become a permanent tank. Lol. Whoops
Its fine, we all make mistakes... I always look at the fish's parameters before buying and compare them to the other fish that will be with them

The baby fish are not livebearers or Khuli loaches. They do not appear to be tetras and are not barbs or labyrinth fishes (gouramis & bettas). Some baby rainbowfish have blue eyes but the entire eye is blue, not just the top half and the fry in the picture does not look like a rainbowfish fry.

@I Like Rare Fish might have got it with lamp eye killifish. The eggs would have come in on plants. Nice fish if they are, so grow them up and post pictures in a month so we can watch them grow.

@I Like Rare Fish might have got it with lamp eye killifish. The eggs would have come in on plants. Nice fish if they are, so grow them up and post pictures in a month so we can watch them grow.
You canā€™t really see the body color that well but the eye is a dead give away.

Most reactions

trending

Back