What The Heck Is This Fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rustyshackleford said:
It does resemble the Limia spp. I looked at online after reading your comments.  However, I don't understand how one of those made it's way into a tub of feeders.  It's kind of a mystery!

Not a whole lot of care or attention is given to the feeder tanks, so having varied species show up in there can happen, and if the feeder lot are generally wild caught, then you've got your answer.  Just got netted the rest of the lot and didn't stand out enough to be noticed in a large group of fish in a tight tank.

What kind of stores sell the wild caught fish?  (feeder guppies)  I would rather buy them and use them as breeders than the selective bred ones. (fancy guppy)

bluesword23516 said:
What kind of stores sell the wild caught fish?  (feeder guppies)  I would rather buy them and use them as breeders than the selective bred ones. (fancy guppy)
yeah that's good i use the female feeder guppies as counterpart for my  male fancies because no one sells female fancies in here, maybe that's their strategy so i cannot breed them and will buy again at their store. based on my experience any lfs that sells feeder livebearers will have wild caught species in them, examples are: wild type poecilia reticulata,poecilia sphenops and gambusia affinis. about buying feeder guppies just be careful about mosquito fish(Gambusia Affinis), they are usually mixed in with the wild type or feeder guppies and they closely resemble the female guppy but the males are dull colored. they are aggressive and will rip the guppies tail. Hope this helps! :)

bluesword23516 said:

Wild guppies aren't nearly as colourful as the fancy ones.

Ot:

Hey rusty, i just realized you're the new one in reptileforums as well :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back