What species of apple snail?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

nathanaldo07

Reaction score
I am hoping to buy these snails from somebody online but am just wondering what species of apple snails they are.

I own some apple snails currently which i presume are Pomocea Bridgesii however they just don't really look the same when looking at the siphon part, it looks somewhat dark in the images and my ones have a completely white/yellow one.

The seller also has told me that they have eaten some of her plants, which I cannot tell if this is because this species eats plants or if her plants were already dying/decaying and the snails were just eating dead plant matter like most other snails.

I may just be worrying over nothing but thought id better be safe than sorry.

The images are the images provided by the seller on the listing so are all I have to go by.

apple snail 1.jpgs-l1600 (3).jpgs-l1600 (2).jpgs-l1600 (1).jpg

I have just also recieved some images, from the seller, of the eggs. They appear to be the usual colour of just the regular mystery snail species' eggs (Pomacea bridgesii) but I am no expert.

s-l1600 (7).jpgs-l1600 (6).jpgs-l1600 (5).jpgs-l1600 (4).jpg

This website no longer exists but we can still access it via Wayback Machine, which means it will take a bit longer to load than usual. It has info on various apple snail species.

I just has a quick look at that site to refresh my memory, and they do say that orange eggs are P. canaliculata. They also have diagrams of several different shells for IDing them.

I just has a quick look at that site to refresh my memory, and they do say that orange eggs are P. canaliculata. They also have diagrams of several different shells for IDing them.

Thank you very much

I have had a look but cant really tell to be honest, its very hard to narrow down to just one species as certain attributes appear in multiple species. As far as I can see there are no distinguishable attributes that these snails have which point in the direction of one singular species.

I agree it is tricky. Back before they were banned by the EU, it used to to be said that brig apple snails only ate dead plants but cana apple snails grew to the size of a tennis ball and ate live plants. There are lots of apple snail species but those were the most common in shops. Then we couldn't buy them for years, and they've recently been allowed back in the UK. Things may have changed during the ban and goodness knows which snail species have been imported since the ban was listed :(
It's also difficult having to rely on seller's photos, it's bad enough when we can actually see them. I think I'd be inclined to avoid any where I couldn't see flat edges to the top of the whorls.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back