What Small Fish To Put With Red Belly Piranhas

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Ryan10 said:
I have kept Piranha since the late 90's. There is a lot of trail and error. Anything you put in the tank with them will be eaten. It might take a day or several months but they will eat it so don't spend a lot of money on something. I had around 20 convicts living with mine for about a year and all of a sudden they ate them all within a week.As far as keeping the tank clean, try getting rid of the gravel and going with sand. That way the chunks of food stay on top of the substrate for easier cleaning.  I use play sand as my substrate.  Just make sure you rinse it really well.   With your filtration you are going to have double what the tank needs.  I have a 125 gallon tank and filtration that's setup for over 250 gallons.  I also only feed mine once or twice a week and do big water changes after feedings.  I see you are feeding them shrimp and salmon.  Shrimp is great but salmon isn't good for piranha at all.  Instead use a white fish like tilapia.  It doesn't have the oils that are bad for your fish plus it is a lot cheaper.  Tilapia should be your fishes main food source.  Don't feed live fish imo...there is nothing worth while that's going to come from it.   Goldfish carry diseases and offer nothing nutrition wise.  They can actually stunt your fishes growth. Here is a look at one of my setups.  If you have any questions feel free to send me a message.<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
That tank is awesome and the music is spot on. Like a horror show fish feeding. So cool :) how many are in there?

Last edited by a moderator:
That tank is awesome and the music is spot on. Like a horror show fish feeding. So cool
smile.png
how many are in there?
[/quote]

Thank you. I have seven in the tank. They range from about 8 inches to 10 inches.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back