What size tank should I get for them in the future?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fishysphishy

Reaction score
I have a 2-inch albino rainbow shark, GloFish, a pleco, neon tetras, baby angelfish he's around 3 6 months old, mystery snail, snails, ghost shrimp, and 3 albinos that look like baby sunshine peacocks but with no stripes or green if u know what they are please tell me their fins are dark on the ends like bronze. They live all together in a 25 gallon for now peacefully. But I'm looking to get a bigger tank in the next 3 months or less. I was just hoping for some help at what size of a tank to get them next. Also, would my red claw crab be fine with them in the new tank? Ik he will eat the snails and shrimp but what about the fish?

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

What species of pleco?
Some grow to 2 feet long and if you have a common pleco that gets that big, you need a tank that is 8-10 foot long or bigger.

Adult angelfish need a tank that is at least 4 foot long x 18 inches wide x 18 inches high, and bigger is better.

You mention you have 3 albinos that look like sunshine peacocks. What species of fish are they? Post a picture of them if you are unsure.

-------------------

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website (Water Analysis Report) or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.

Angelfish, discus, most tetras, most barbs, Bettas, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish (plecos) all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm) and a pH below 7.0.

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), rainbowfish and goldfish occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm and a pH above 7.0.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids, or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

I am unable to send pics, because I am chatting on an Xbox i could send u a picture through email or text if u are willing to give me a email or number

If you can tell us which plec you have it would help. If it's a large growing plec we need to suggest a bigger tank than a small growing plec.

And as Colin said, we need to identify the albino fish as they may need a separate tank from the other fish. If they are Rift Lake peacocks they need much harder water than the others. Do you have any other device you could use to post photos eg a phone?

Which tank?
Peacocks will kill angels and neons, but both peacocks and angels will need something larger than 25 gallons.
The "shark" is a nasty nightime attacker that may make everything miserable. They vary as individuals, but many are very bad news. Most.
It could have the 25.
Common plecos get huge, and there are all kinds of possible problems there.
So for that assemblage?
Two 55s would do, if you keep the 25. I have no experience with the crustaceans.

My rainbow shark does not get that aggressive at all. He only shoves the fish out of his mushroom home whenever they try to enter.

Know that they are not Peacocks they just look like them. And they haven't shown 1 sign of aggression since I've had them.

A lot of juvenile cichlids are peaceful, same with rainbow sharks. The problems start when they mature and take over a territory.

We need to know what species of cichlid and suckermouth catfish (pleco) you have before we can offer more advice on tank size.

It’s hard to say what size tank they will need in the future. Currently you have a lot of fish that are aggressive and grow pretty large in a small tank. Most of the fish need at least a 55, but I would go to a 75 or even a 100 gallon tank. The albino red tailed sharks are normally very active and quite aggressive to other kinds of their species so a big tank would help so they don’t attack and severely injure each other. What kind of pleco do you have because some species can grow quite large and how many fish in each of the schooling groups?

A lot of juvenile cichlids are peaceful, same with rainbow sharks. The problems start when they mature and take over a territory.

We need to know what species of cichlid and suckermouth catfish (pleco) you have before we can offer more advice on tank size.
I found out they are albino dwarf African cichlids and i am buying a 55 next week and will move my rainbow shark and yoyo, and angelfish and pleco to it, i will be keeping the cichlids in the 25, and have sold the rest the fish but the glofish but i will be selling them soon, and im gonna buy some angelfish 1-3 for the 55 most likely being koi angels or blues. Along with another fish for the 25 with the cichlids any suggestions for the fish i should get who will live with the 3 dwarf African cichlids.

Unfortunately dwarf African cichlids can be anything. We need scientific names or pictures to identify them.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height) for the 25 gallon tank?

3 kribensis cichlids might be fine in a 2 foot tank or the 3rd one might get bashed when the other 2 breed.

If you have a pr of kribensis in a 2 foot tank, there probably isn't any room for other fish because the cichlids will take over the entire tank when they breed.
In a tall tank you might be able to add some pencilfish or other surface dwelling fish, but there is no guarantee the cichlids won't attack them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back