What shrimps can be kept together?

xxaprilrose

Reaction score
I have a 37 gallon tank and idk what to do with it! Iā€™m thinking maybe getting a bunch of shrimp? If I did what ones can be kept together? Iā€™d love to have a bunch of different colored shrimps. Also what can I house with them? And are green rasboras compatible?

Different coloured shrimps of the same species should not be kept together or they will breed with each other and the offspring will end up being a blend - with cherry shrimps, they end up brown.
Different species of shrimps can be kept together provided their needs are the same.

Green rasboras (Microdevario kubotai) can be kept with shrimps which need the same conditions.

Different coloured shrimps of the same species should not be kept together or they will breed with each other and the offspring will end up being a blend - with cherry shrimps, they end up brown.
Different species of shrimps can be kept together provided their needs are the same.

Green rasboras (Microdevario kubotai) can be kept with shrimps which need the same conditions.
i donā€™t really know much about shrimp but i donā€™t all of the babies turn out brown. i had a blue neocardinia (idk if i spelled that right) and a cherry shrimp and the babies were all red or blue. no brown.

ooh brown cherry shrimp!!
bamboo shrimp are peaceful

i donā€™t really know much about shrimp but i donā€™t all of the babies turn out brown. i had a blue neocardinia (idk if i spelled that right) and a cherry shrimp and the babies were all red or blue. no brown.
I think it's more several generations down the line that the colours get blended.

Was the blue shrimp exactly the same species as the cherry shrimp? It's more difficult to work out nowadays because they changed the name of cherry shrimps and some sellers use the new one and some use the old one :unsure:

I think it's more several generations down the line that the colours get blended.

Was the blue shrimp exactly the same species as the cherry shrimp? It's more difficult to work out nowadays because they changed the name of cherry shrimps and some sellers use the new one and some use the old one :unsure:
theres shrimp called like Neocarindas or whatever??
correct me if im wrong lol

Red cherry shrimps used to be Neocaridina heteropoda, now they are Neocaridina davidii. So are orange, yellow, rili, chocolate, blue dream etc shrimps.

Blue pearl shrimps and snowball shrimps are Neocaridina Cf. Zhangjiajiensis

Then there are various species of Caridina - C cantonensis (eg tiger shrimps, bee shrimps, crystal shrimps), C. serrata (eg tangerine shrimps)

The Dark Side is a-calling and I'm being lured by the temptation of shrimp!
I'll also be looking at different coloured shrimp, but won't be wanting different strains of the same species to breed.
To avoid this, I'll be considering getting one group of Neocaridina and another of Caridina.

All of this may be redundant, depending upon the final condition of the tank waters.

Iā€™ve Amanos and RCS together. Thatā€™s ok isnā€™t it?

Also Iā€™d like to put a few big Amanos in with my Heterandria Formosa (mosquito fish). Would they be ok?

RCS are a no no with HF I read AFTER putting in 6 with them. The next day there were bits of shrimp all over the sand. Only one survived and it was sitting on top of the suctioned on thermometer about half an inch below the water surface in a corner of the tank. I put the little net in to try and rescue him and he just leapt into it in a ā€œget me out of here quickā€ style. Took him across the room into the Medaka/Amano tank where I think he still is.

So to recap Amanos and RCS ok? Yes or No?
Big Amanos and Heterandria Formosa? Yes or No?

Sorry for thread hijack btw. The Amano-RCS info may be helpful?

Iā€™ve Amanos and RCS together. Thatā€™s ok isnā€™t it?

Also Iā€™d like to put a few big Amanos in with my Heterandria Formosa (mosquito fish). Would they be ok?

RCS are a no no with HF I read AFTER putting in 6 with them. The next day there were bits of shrimp all over the sand. Only one survived and it was sitting on top of the suctioned on thermometer about half an inch below the water surface in a corner of the tank. I put the little net in to try and rescue him and he just leapt into it in a ā€œget me out of here quickā€ style. Took him across the room into the Medaka/Amano tank where I think he still is.

So to recap Amanos and RCS ok? Yes or No?
Big Amanos and Heterandria Formosa? Yes or No?

Sorry for thread hijack btw. The Amano-RCS info may be helpful?
I now know this much...

Amanos are Caridina species shrimp, Red Cherry Shrimp are Neocaridina species shrimp, so they cannot breed and produce 'grubby' offspring.

As for your fish...
If it's small enough to fit inside a fish's mouth, then it is at risk of being eaten.
Whilst your adults should be safe enough, any baby shrimp will be considered fair game. Provide plenty of plant cover and some fry will survive to grow big enough to be considered as not-food.

I now know this much...

Amanos are Caridina species shrimp, Red Cherry Shrimp are Neocaridina species shrimp, so they cannot breed and produce 'grubby' offspring.

As for your fish...
If it's small enough to fit inside a fish's mouth, then it is at risk of being eaten.
Whilst your adults should be safe enough, any baby shrimp will be considered fair game. Provide plenty of plant cover and some fry will survive to grow big enough to be considered as not-food.
Oh the Amanos are twice the size of the HFs. Iā€™m more worried about Amanos eating fry!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back