What should i feed my assassins?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Finn1231

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So i had an infestation of bladder snails and got 2 assassin snails. They ended up breeding like crazy and i have a batch of eggs that are probably due in about a week(?) so now i have to rush to clean snail poop off of the driftwood and clean the whole tank so that when they hatch they have some time to grow before i use the gravel vac. The thing is that they ate nearly all my invasive snails and while i still see the bladder snail eggs, the population is super low. Can i put in a new kind of snail or something like that for them to eat? I dont want to add bloodworms and the like because my betta would devour them.

So i had an infestation of bladder snails and got 2 assassin snails. They ended up breeding like crazy and i have a batch of eggs that are probably due in about a week(?) so now i have to rush to clean snail poop off of the driftwood and clean the whole tank so that when they hatch they have some time to grow before i use the gravel vac. The thing is that they ate nearly all my invasive snails and while i still see the bladder snail eggs, the population is super low. Can i put in a new kind of snail or something like that for them to eat? I dont want to add bloodworms and the like because my betta would devour them.
Assassins will eat standard flake foods. To avoid overfeeding your betta, perhaps try using algae wafers or some sinking pellet foods, or using a snail trap for just feeding purposes.

Assassin snail eggs takes about 8 weeks to hatch into tiny miniature versions of adult assassins.

These snails are happy to munch on leftover fish food but don’t overfeeding just because you want to feed the assassins, an algae wafer every now and then will help a little, catappa leaves or IAL can be a source of nutrient for snails as well.

I used to add pond snails from other tanks into my assassin snail tanks just to give them a treat once in a while.

But other than that keep feeding to a minimum otherwise you may start to run into water issues, overfeeding betta and assassins will continue to breed as long as there is a abundant food supply so the less feeding the less snails, in theory anyway!

Snails are scavengers, in a well-established tank, you don't have to feed them anything special...assassins don't need live food.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back