What should I feed my 2 day old platy fry?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Thank you!
If you buy it - you can use table salt WITHOUT iodine and you need either a room that is around 80 or a small incandescent lamp (led won't work) for warmth ot hatch the eggs. Note that the shrimp is only healthy for about 48 hours after hatching unless you cool them (put in fridge); so you have to rehatch frequently as the nutrients are in their egg sacks which they are eating as they grow.

Also it is likely your platy will have frys a couple of more time as they er store the male's essence for a bit of time.

Newborns with still having a yolk sac are not premature. That's normal. They'll nourish themselves the first day with the content of their yolk sac. Newborns of ovoviviparous livebearers that don't have a yolk sac, must have absorbed it already just before they were born. That's all...

This is a simple hatcher that sep the eggs from the shell for you (which is very important):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079C6BN2B/

It includes enough eggs that will last you a few years.
I would just buy decapsulated eggs. Much easier to deal with.

Edit:
I use 2L drinks bottles with the top cut off. A small airpump and piece of airline going to the bottom of the bottle and the air adjusted nice an low with keep the water moving (you can just put a kink in the airline with a loose not to reduce flow). A light and keeping them at a reasonable room temperature will help speed up hatching.

They hatch within 1-2 days and you want to feed them to your fish while they still have a yoke sack. They will swim to a light source so putting a torch on one side of the bottle will make most of them move to it. Then you can suck them out with a pipette or turkey baster. Run them through a coffee filter to remove the salt water and put into the tank.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I would just buy decapsulated eggs. Much easier to deal with.
Easier how? The only negative of the item i inked is cost; as for ease the shrimp swim into a basket without sells so you just take the basket out and dip it in your tank...

Easier how? The only negative of the item i inked is cost; as for ease the shrimp swim into a basket without sells so you just take the basket out and dip it in your tank...
Each to their own I guess. :)

I'm not doubting you; i just want you to explain how it is easier since you made the claim.
Because I can make a setup out of scrap that will run for weeks and weeks with zero maintainence other then to suck some baby brine shrimp out every day, put more eggs in and top the water up every so often.

Never had any luck with any of the systems that are supposed to separate the shells from the baby brine shrimp and you still need to remove the shells. Would rather not faff with it and be 100% sure I won't accident choke some fry with a stray shell.

Because I can make a setup out of scrap that will run for weeks and weeks with zero maintainence other then to suck some baby brine shrimp out every day, put more eggs in and top the water up every so often.

Never had any luck with any of the systems that are supposed to separate the shells from the baby brine shrimp and you still need to remove the shells. Would rather not faff with it and be 100% sure I won't accident choke some fry with a stray shell.
Ok so it is not easier just your system. I've used the above product and it works well and is obvious why it works once understand what it is doing. It is over priced for a piece of plastic but otherwise fine. While your system is cheaper (and that can be a big advantage); i think the op is rather novice and would be better served by a simple to use system that is relatively fault tolerance.
-
The decapsulated eggs are an interesting idea but they defeat the purpose for those frys that require moving food to trigger eating. Platy frys would probably go after them and they can be found for $9 shipped

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GC71LSG/

So the op might be interested in those but then again there is the 'fun' factor of watching your fry chase live food ;)

Ok so it is not easier just your system. I've used the above product and it works well and is obvious why it works once understand what it is doing. It is over priced for a piece of plastic but otherwise fine. While your system is cheaper (and that can be a big advantage); i think the op is rather novice and would be better served by a simple to use system that is relatively fault tolerance.
-
The decapsulated eggs are an interesting idea but they defeat the purpose for those frys that require moving food to trigger eating. Platy frys would probably go after them and they can be found for $9 shipped

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GC71LSG/?tag=ff0d01-20

So the op might be interested in those but then again there is the 'fun' factor of watching your fry chase live food ;)
Yes, I am very novice to fry keeping and live food, so easier is definitely the better route. Thank you both of you for your information though!

The decapsulated eggs are an interesting idea but they defeat the purpose for those frys that require moving food to trigger eating.
I'm not sure you understand how they work, they are srtill moving, they still hatch and grow as normal brine shrimp, just no shell to worry about.
While your system is cheaper (and that can be a big advantage); i think the op is rather novice and would be better served by a simple to use system that is relatively fault tolerance.
You cant get much simpler than a container of salt water, an airstone and a turkey baster. Decapsulated cysts have no byproduct to remove and have a much higher hatch rate. It is literally the easiest way to do baby brine shrimp and there is no risk of killing fry with bits of shell or unhatched cysts.

Like I said though each to their own and I quite honestly don't care enough to argue the point any further.

I'm not sure you understand how they work, they are srtill moving, they still hatch and grow as normal brine shrimp, just no shell to worry about.

You cant get much simpler than a container of salt water, an airstone and a turkey baster. Decapsulated cysts have no byproduct to remove and have a much higher hatch rate. It is literally the easiest way to do baby brine shrimp and there is no risk of killing fry with bits of shell or unhatched cysts.

Like I said though each to their own and I quite honestly don't care enough to argue the point any further.
Here is a better description:
---
DECAPSULATED or “shell-free” NON-HATCHING BRINE SHRIMP EGGS are typically fed directly to a wide variety of tropical fish - providing excellent nutritional value without the necessity and down-time of hatching. The outer shell, the chorion, has been chemically removed or oxidized using a concentrated chlorine solution. This process leaves the thin hatching membrane surrounding the unhatched brine shrimp embryo intact. Decapsulated brine shrimp eggs theoretically have a higher energy value than live brine shrimp since the energy consumed in the hatching process is conserved. Lipids and amino acids are left largely intact. Simply rehydrate the decapsulated brine shrimp eggs for a few minutes in fresh water and feed directly to your fry or juveniles (This step is not generally necessary for adult fish.). Note: A small amount of decapsulated eggs goes a long way. Don't overfeed. Again, these are non-hatching brine shrimp eggs. Dare we repeat, non-hatching. The oxidation process is exothermic and generates heat in excess of the lethal temperature of the embryo. The further dehydration of the egg to maintain its shelf life renders the egg non-viable. An excellent feed for angelfish, goldfish, and guppies! Also well accepted by coryadora and plecostami.

Here is a better description:
Not really? Just the first link in a Google search result from a shop that sells them as non viable because they put in an extra step of dehydrating them after decapsulating them.

If you looked at a few more results you would have probably found quite a few shops that sell them just decapsulated for hatching purposes. Decapsulating them greatly increases hatch rates.

I used decapsulated brineshrimp for years. I find them super easy to use as there is no mess. You can use the same water for weeks without haven't to worry about removing shell. Literally suck out your newly hatched brineshrimp and dump in another spoon of eggs.There is absolutly no downside and I have no idea why you are trying to prove it wrong when you obviously haven't used them yourself.

Not really? Just the first link in a Google search result from a shop that sells them as non viable because they put in an extra step of dehydrating them after decapsulating them.

If you looked at a few more results you would have probably found quite a few shops that sell them just decapsulated for hatching purposes. Decapsulating them greatly increases hatch rates.

I used decapsulated brineshrimp for years. I find them super easy to use as there is no mess. You can use the same water for weeks without haven't to worry about removing shell. Literally suck out your newly hatched brineshrimp and dump in another spoon of eggs.There is absolutly no downside and I have no idea why you are trying to prove it wrong when you obviously haven't used them yourself.
That is correct i have not used them (as you have not used the dish i linked); they do have the liquid type which you can hatch but they are rather expensive and have some other cons such as limited shelf life (at least the ones i found indicated 2 months max in fridge) so I'm not sure i will try them though maybe i will just for kicks one day.

Perhaps I am not finding the right product. Others i found require that you treat them with chlorine before hatching (perhaps tap water has sufficient chlorine?).

The vast majority I found were not hatchable.

That is correct i have not used them (as you have not used the dish i linked); they do have the liquid type which you can hatch but they are rather expensive and have some other cons such as limited shelf life (at least the ones i found indicated 2 months max in fridge) so I'm not sure i will try them though maybe i will just for kicks one day.

Perhaps I am not finding the right product. Others i found require that you treat them with chlorine before hatching (perhaps tap water has sufficient chlorine?).

The vast majority I found were not hatchable.
Y’all I just wanted to know what kind of food to feed my fry 😅

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back