What Should I Do?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yep, that is what I was thinking to. :(

How about a nice big schooling fish tank? Like 20-30 neon tetras, 20-30 rummy nose tetras, Cory cats, plecos, shrimp, etc.

55 gallons is a lot to work with.
I already have most of that but thanks.
A lot of people buy the fish over time and keep them in separate tanks, and when they have them all, they move them into the big tank. That way they can collect fish over whatever time frame, and introduce them all at the same time.

It also depends on what fish you get. If you have peacocks, you can put them in first and add other fishes after. But if you have something bigger or aggressive, and it is established in the tank, it might eat or bash anything new you add.
I understand. That makes sense. Again, thank you for your help.

Think I’m going to go with angel fish. Can I get 6 small ones and see how they pair off? What if some don’t ever pair off? Can they stay in there single or take them to lfs? I imagine one they pair off that I can only keep 2 pairs in a 55G? Is this correct? Any that I need to stay away from because they’ll get too big?

I had a pair in my 55 gallon, they grew to 6 inch and almost 5 inches (body) so they needed the room

Think I’m going to go with angel fish. Can I get 6 small ones and see how they pair off? What if some don’t ever pair off? Can they stay in there single or take them to lfs? I imagine one they pair off that I can only keep 2 pairs in a 55G? Is this correct? Any that I need to stay away from because they’ll get too big?
I think the common angelfish you see at most pet stores should be fine. One or two pairs probably max

Maybe I need to just keep one pair then. @Retired Viking , did you buy yours as a pair or did you get a few and then give the others away once they paired?

Just writing from different perspective...

My personal policy/practice is always this, "anything that I don't touch or use for more than 3 years should be disposed off to clear the space & clutter"....
If you don't use it for 3 years, most likely you won't use it anymore....
Our house should be clean, neat and tidy and a place for us to relax....
So, we shouldn't keep unwanted things...

You have a 75g. 55g is your second biggest tank.
To me, big tank is more useful than smaller tanks but provided you have the space.
I think you can keep the 55g and dispose off other smaller tanks...
You can use the 55g as a backup for 75g in case of emergency, etc...

Hope I am making some sense as I didnt read all the previous posts...

Just writing from different perspective...

My personal policy/practice is always this, "anything that I don't touch or use for more than 3 years should be disposed off to clear the space & clutter"....
If you don't use it for 3 years, most likely you won't use it anymore....
Our house should be clean, neat and tidy and a place for us to relax....
So, we shouldn't keep unwanted things...

You have a 75g. 55g is your second biggest tank.
To me, big tank is more useful than smaller tanks but provided you have the space.
I think you can keep the 55g and dispose off other smaller tanks...
You can use the 55g as a backup for 75g in case of emergency, etc...

Hope I am making some sense as I didnt read all the previous posts...
You make perfect sense. My 55 has only been empty a week so the 3 year rule can’t apply. I can’t get rid of my smaller tanks because they house bettas which can’t go together. I have consolidated all of my tanks into a fish room except my 75G and 45G goldfish tanks. The 55G will go in the fish room too.

Just saw your thread. If you decide on keeping the tank, make it a real show tank. I saw that you may go with angels. Cool. Start with at least a half dozen small ones and let them grow together. Just remember, they are predatory and may get large. This means that tetras like glow lights or neons will become an expensive meal. My angels are so large that anything smaller than an inch is dinner. A heavily planted tank with driftwood with 6 or 8 large angels with lets say a dozen or more larger tetras like lemons would be nice. Add a half dozen cory cats and you will be set. If your female bettas are larger, you can throw them in also. Go on You Tube to get some ideas about different tank displays. For example, key in freshwater angel fish and there are videos of tanks.

You make perfect sense. My 55 has only been empty a week so the 3 year rule can’t apply. I can’t get rid of my smaller tanks because they house bettas which can’t go together. I have consolidated all of my tanks into a fish room except my 75G and 45G goldfish tanks. The 55G will go in the fish room too.

Wow, it's nice to have a "fish room"...
Did you install any automated water change?
It will be easier for you to change water.
Or get some customized some tanks with holes for connecting hose/pipe directly to the taps, drains..
Some people installed permanent water pipes to their fish tank for supplying fresh water.

For selecting new fish for your 55g, choose carefully the fish that you want. There are many species of fish, inverterbrates which are beautiful and unique.
Take your time to choose.
I'd tried many species of fish (from South America, Africa, Central America, Asia, Australia continents) in the past.
But now I only keep Discus, Furcata Rainbow, Killifish, Lemon Tetras and one Betta in the community tank.
Try to have fish on different levels of the tank(bottom, middle, top) so that your tank won't look so empty.
Schooling fish makes better effect and you can see their interactions and behaviour better.
Also, try to have multiple colours fish.
Red and yellow colours are the most striking.
Blue is a unique colour and it will glow in the dark. My Blue Diamond Discus is absolutely stunning under the dim light.
Green is also a nice colour.
Some Zebra Danios have a thin stripe of flourescent green is also stunning. It wont be nice if the whole body is only flourescent green as its not natural.
My Furcata Rainbows have blue eyes, unique fin shape with yellow tip..
I used to have Neolamprologus Caudopunctatus(from Lake Tanganyika, Africa) which have blue eyes and yellow fins. They are beautiful.

Look through the internets, youtube for ideas.
But sometimes it also depends on availability at your LFS.
To me, I will only select the best available fish cos it's no point to keep some mediocre/ average looking fish as it requires a lot of work to keep the fish...

Marine fish are the most colourful but will require more maintenance plus you need someone to top up water when you are away(1-2weeks) for vacation.
Some may install an automated refill water to maintain the proper salinity as the water will evaporate every few days and increase the salinity.

Last edited:
Need honest opinions. Don’t laugh. I cleaned my 55G tank so I could take pics to put on Craig’s List. My hubbie said it looked brand new and asked why I was selling it. I told him I have too many and takes a lot of time to clean. He suggested a place in the fish room to put it and said I should tag the tanks and split cleaning into 3 days a week where I would clean 3 or 4 instead doing all on one set day. Made sense. I am retired. He said he hates to see me sell it. So question:
Should I set it back up, store it, or sell it?

My current inventory of set up tanks are
(7) 5 gallons
(2) 10 Gallons
(1) 20G long
(1) 29G
(1) 45 G
(1) 75G
(1) 150G garden pond

I can’t decide. Part of me says no, no, no and the other half says what’s one more. Help, please.
I would set back up. I do the same thing with Betta fish. I had 1.tank with about 30 betta fish in it. A 38 gallon tank. It was amazing cause they all actually got along but I understand the cleaning, it's alot of work. Well anyway I went to Petco and bought another Betta fish however this fish was super EXTREMELY aggressive. When I put him in the tank he stirred up so much Anxiety and fighting with all my original fish then all those fish that got along all that time started fighting. So I had to quickly get the new one out and go buy a bunch of tanks that had the middle wall divider and split them all out of the tank. That was a while ago and now I'm down to two tanks with just 2 Bettas and some rabbit snails.. however my point is Everytime I walk in a pet store I see how terrible the fish are treated esp. the betta in that little Tubaware cup. So I do it to help the fish, even though it's alot.
So I would put it back up and help out some.more fish!!

Kim

I would set back up. I do the same thing with Betta fish. I had 1.tank with about 30 betta fish in it. A 38 gallon tank. It was amazing cause they all actually got along but I understand the cleaning, it's alot of work. Well anyway I went to Petco and bought another Betta fish however this fish was super EXTREMELY aggressive. When I put him in the tank he stirred up so much Anxiety and fighting with all my original fish then all those fish that got along all that time started fighting. So I had to quickly get the new one out and go buy a bunch of tanks that had the middle wall divider and split them all out of the tank. That was a while ago and now I'm down to two tanks with just 2 Bettas and some rabbit snails.. however my point is Everytime I walk in a pet store I see how terrible the fish are treated esp. the betta in that little Tubaware cup. So I do it to help the fish, even though it's alot.
So I would put it back up and help out some.more fish!!

Kim
You had 30 bettas in a 38 gallon?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back