What should I do with these fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Truth_FishGuy

Reaction score
Alright, so hereā€™s the predicament Iā€™m currently in:

I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank that has 1 bristle nose pleco, 2 Silver Dollars, and 3 Clown Loaches. Already there are several problems with this: the amount of fish, and most importantly the tank size. After doing research, Iā€™ve learned that these guys need bigger tanks in order to thrive, especially if I want both; however, my tank is just too small to comfortably house both of these fish. To make things worse, my dad wants to go to the fish store tomorrow to buy some red hook silver dollars as well as a bunch of tiger barbs (the barbs will be a big problem for the silver dollars/red hooks).

With this situation in mind, I have a couple questions:

1.) What should I do with the silver dollars and clown loaches?

2.) What should I put in this tank instead? I know this isnā€™t exactly an emergency question, but I would like some ideas on what to stock this tank with. The main things Iā€™d like for this tank are either cool cichlids or a nice community tank.

I know itā€™s a tad late (for me itā€™s 8 PM PST), but I would like some speedy replies. I donā€™t got a lot of time before we go to the fish store.

What are the dimensions of this tank? How big are the fish that are in there?. As long as those fish are small enough not a problem. This was my 66 gallon Silver Dollar tank.
022.JPG

The dimensions are 48 x 13 x 18 inches. Everything in there right now is about 2 inches. Also nice fish.
Leave them alone, don't get Tiger Barbs. Get more Silver Dollars, make the school around six or so fish. Also get a couple more BN's to keep that one company.

Definitely not a stocking that would work long term. Are you looking for long term solutions or just what to do now?
If you are looking for longer term solution... do you know the GH and ph of your tap water? If you want to restart your stocking altogether, you could see if your LFS would take the fish. They will sometimes offer store credit!

This is a somewhat older post, so actions were likely already taken. In case they were not, and just for general benefit of any others, I say this:

"To make things worse, my dad wants to go to the fish store tomorrow to buy some red hook silver dollars as well as a bunch of tiger barbs (the barbs will be a big problem for the silver dollars/red hooks)."
If by red hook silver dollars, Myloplus rubripinnis is meant (true red hooks), then a 55g is not good enough for even one adult, and of course they will only thrive in groups. Many retailers use the vague name of 'red hook SDs" for any silver dollar species that has some red in the anal fin (several Metynnis spp., at least one Myloplus, etc.). Even if Metynnis are meant (they max at much smaller sizes than true red hooks), the 55g is still too small for adding those, in addition to what is already in the tank, or even without them.

"Leave them alone, don't get Tiger Barbs. Get more Silver Dollars, make the school around six or so fish. Also get a couple more BN's to keep that one company."
I agree on the first and second recommendations, even though a 55g is too small for 6 full grown Metynnis SDs, at least in the long term. If by bad luck one ends up having a sex ratio skewed towards males (or worse, a single female), the inherent sexual tension will be very stressful and result in long term problems. I had 6 Metynnis in a 75g for several years and it sort of worked, but with problems. That group of fish, now enlarged to 8, is thriving in a 6 foot tank, which in addition is also 6 inches wider (front to back) than a standard 55g.
I will also not add a couple more BN's. If one ends up with 2 males (or 3), the resulting stress will be worse on the subdominant ones, than living alone. That becomes worse if one ends up with two males and one female.

I would just get rid of the clown loaches, maybe add a couple of more silver dollars, they do well in groups. Tiger barbs are cool fish but boy they are fast and aggressive eaters; the silver dollars are a bit skittish, but they are nice fish and will grow nicely in that tank.

Alright, so hereā€™s the predicament Iā€™m currently in:

I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank that has 1 bristle nose pleco, 2 Silver Dollars, and 3 Clown Loaches. Already there are several problems with this: the amount of fish, and most importantly the tank size. After doing research, Iā€™ve learned that these guys need bigger tanks in order to thrive, especially if I want both; however, my tank is just too small to comfortably house both of these fish. To make things worse, my dad wants to go to the fish store tomorrow to buy some red hook silver dollars as well as a bunch of tiger barbs (the barbs will be a big problem for the silver dollars/red hooks).

With this situation in mind, I have a couple questions:

1.) What should I do with the silver dollars and clown loaches?

2.) What should I put in this tank instead? I know this isnā€™t exactly an emergency question, but I would like some ideas on what to stock this tank with. The main things Iā€™d like for this tank are either cool cichlids or a nice community tank.

I know itā€™s a tad late (for me itā€™s 8 PM PST), but I would like some speedy replies. I donā€™t got a lot of time before we go to the fish store.
ok. personally I would sell the silver dollars and clown loaches to start with. If you want a peaceful community tank do not get tiger barbs.

this is the stocking of my heavily planted 55 gallon:
5 adult bristlenose
6 adult angels
17 adult guppies
18 adult neon tetras (would recommend cardinals instead)
8 kuhli loaches
22 adult larger cory species (13 bronze/albino, 8 peppered, 1 sterbai)
12 pygmy corys
6 kribenis

very peacful tank. Very important, it only works because it has 120 gallons worth of filtration and is very heavily planted (to balance out bioload)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back