What should i do with an unwanted fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Shark1282

Reaction score
I recently got my aquarium from a friend who no longer wanted it. Along with the tank came a 12 inch common pleco. i really dont want to keep him as a fish he isnt to big for my tank but he is very messy and im pretty sure i could never keep a live plant if i wanted to.
What do you think i could do with the fish to get rid of it. the last thing i want to do is kill it i think that would be really unfair to him. is there any chance the lfs would take it from me. do you think that there is any one around that wants a 12 inch pleco. thanks for any help you can give me.

its worth asking your lfs, mine have took fish of me before, as you say its
better than killing him, :)

I dont think your LFS would take it at that size IMO, but my m8 had almost the same situation, except his was about 7" long, luckily he found some1 at work to take it off him, just ask around, and try an add in ur local paper, theres always ppl that want freebies ;)

A 12" pleco is a big and beautiful fish, I'm sure some people will want it as the others say try your free ads paper failing that if theirs a large aquarium near you? They always like gifts and their tanks are absolutely huge for your pleco to live in :D
Good luck and I hope you find a new home for it and please don't kill it :(

I'll have him :D Shame I live in the UK - I love plecos - and btw - I have a 6-7" one in my heavily planted community tank. At first he did upset the plants, but now he leaves them alone as he's well fed and happy :rolleyes: The tank is like a jungle - if fact I'm going to prune some back to back a bit more room on the substrate for my plec. :)

Thanks for the idea in the free adds paper. im going to my lfs on tuesday to buy some tiger barbs as they unload them from the truck so ill talk to the people there to see if they would take him off my hands.

Bad thing is when you over load your LFS with a certain fish. Years back I had a pair of convicts that bred and bred and bred. I had EVERY local pet store stocked with all different sizes. It came a point they said NO MOR convicts.

At the time I had a few LG albino oscars which I though would love a few for snacks. They didn't.....
What did I do, well kinda mean but. A friend ran one of the local pet stores I regularly visited and took fish to. One morning before he opened I dropped off a box at the front door containing roughly 100 ++ convicts.
Needless to say he knew who left them and I never heard the end of it. Everytime I asked if he needed fish I would hear NO ! still got all them dam convicts someone dropped off at my door. And evrytime I would break out laughing....... what are friends for. especially when they run the local pet store and tell you they need no more fish.
But I got rid of the fish and didn't have to try feeding them to the oscars again.

semper fi hates that story...... sorry...... Had to give advice on how to dump off fish at the door of the Local Pet Store run and not look back . LOLOL

don't hate that story just the fact that you would not let me return the favor. tis much easier to get rid of one unwanted fish than 300 or so unwanted convicts!

maggie

Were luck to have Danny here i can see te headlines in newspapers now

FISH LEFT IN BOXES ALL OVER THE U.K

Well i learnt something useful today thanks Danny

Whacky

Yikes ! what did I start.??? LOLOL All I did was pump them up with O2 just incase they didn't find a tank in the shop. The best was when I returned.....
I could just imagine the look on a store owners face when you leave a box of extra fish which they all ready have tons of. i recall the face of my friend when I went back and played as stupid as poss. Who me ? What ? I can't beleive someone would do that. Damn thats alot of convicts.
That gave me away because by this point I am already laughing so hard I am red in the face.
Needless to say it's been years and they probobly still have some of those convicts. LOLOLOLOL yeap there was a ton plus I had already traded in a ton prior before I was told NO the second time and decided to make a donation. Thats one way to put it, A Donation was made......
Danny

Shark1282 said:
Im going to my lfs on tuesday to buy some tiger barbs as they unload them from the truck.
Not a good idea!! It is always best to wait a few days and let the shop deal with any problems with newly aquired stock...

Most stores (those worth anything) always place new stock under a quarantine period.

If a shop is willing to sell fish as soon as they come in I would not take a chance on buying those fish.

JMO

CM

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back