What Should I Do Whith My Fancy Guppies While I'm Not Home?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ChancesMama

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello all! My Thanksgiving vacation starts tomorrow/tonight and I will be leaving town early tomorrow morning. I am happy to say that I have finally gotten my tank cycled and I added 4 male guppies in last week! Now my problem is that I do not have an automatic feeder (I do plan to get one before chirstmad but don't have the money right now). Will they be okay in my dorm room alone until I get back? I will be gone for roughly 5 days in total and can feed them on the sixth day when I get back. All of my friends are also going home for vacation and cannot feed them while I'm gone. The only other thing I can do would be to keep them with me at home in a 1 gallon tank while I'm there. Can someone tell me which of these ideas is the best? Bringing them along will be difficult and need lots of convincing to my boyfriend but I should be able to do it if it is better for the fish, it would just be so much easier if they could stay here in the 28 gallon tank.
Any and all help is appreciated! Please be nice :)

You can just leave them alone, no need for an automatic feeder. Do feed them before you go though & of course when you get back!
I hope you have a great Thanksgiving.

You'd be able to feed them on day 1 & day 7? Should be fine, provided they are well fed and in excellent condition before you leave.

In general fish can go without food for a week easily.

Yay! Okay thanks! :) And they are very healthy and love their new home!

Yup

Ninjouzata said:
You can just leave them alone, no need for an automatic feeder. Do feed them before you go though & of course when you get back!
I hope you have a great Thanksgiving.

most fish can survive for 2 weeks at best, be sure before you leave do a water change and feed them the usual amount you feed them before you leave

Thank you everyone! I had a nice but hectic Thanksgiving break and came back to a nice tank with all 4 of my lovely guppies alive and well. I fed them right away and on my way back home I also picked up 6 Otto cats :)

Now I am planning for a winter vacation thats coming up and I am hoping to buy a Light Timer and an Auto feeder :)

Most reactions

Back