What should I add in my tank and by how much?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Ravenes

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Was wondering if how many type of fish I should add. Iā€™m getting plants as well as at least 3 white skirts and a school of Cory catfish but I donā€™t know if I should do more or less

How big is your tank? I think white skirts prefer to be in a school so I would get 5-6 of those and then, depending on the size of the tank and the type of cory catfish you want to get, add a school of cories. You can get more pygme cories because they are smaller then some other types.

What are your tankā€™s water parameters? The type of fishes u should be getting depends on that. Try not to over crowd your tank and dont purchase multiple fishes at one go. I also cannot stress how important it is to quarantine ur new fishes for at least 1 month before introducing them to your main tank. Treat your new fishes for parasites, ich and other problems first, build their immunity and get them used to the type of water conditions in your tank.

Last edited:
Welcome.
Its good that youā€™re researching before buying. Long term fish keepers on here will tell you they wish the internet had been around when they started off.

Lesson 1: Donā€™t take an aquarist shop employees advice at face value, theyā€™re trying to sell you something. Ditto a lot of the internet.
Lesson 2: Read up on cycling your aquarium. (I prefer silent cycling as the other methods seem way too complicated for my tiny mind). Though you may understand the others easily.
Lesson 3: Find out your water hardness from your suppliers website. Keeping fish suited by millions of years of evolution to your water hardness will give them a better longer life.
Lesson 4: Donā€™t be afraid to ask a question on here. Everyoneā€™s helpful and we all start somewhere.
Lesson 5: Have fun.

Seriouslyfish.com will help you discover the needs of any particular fish that takes your fancy. Water hardness, alkalinity, temp. Tank size, tank mates, plants, food, breeding etc etc. Itā€™s science backed and not a product of hearsay, rumour and you tube nonsense. It really is the best site of its kind on the internet. Pre-internet it wouldā€™ve been a book the size of a car costing more than an aquarium and itā€™s contents. Use it.

Stay safe and have fun.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back