What Sand/base For Cichlids?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

calversbuyuk

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Helllo, I know this gets brought up a lot but I bought the sand (cant remember the exact name) but it was the one from B&Q its the one everyone uses just cant think of the name, but it gets so clogged up in my filter and then the tank gets dirty, is there any better sand that's not that expensive which I can use instead of this sand and that wont get sucked up into my filter?

Thanks

I just used play sand from my local garden centre in my 4ft tank, it does get into my filters but it doesn't block thm up, I used Swell Aquarium Sand  (http://www.swelluk.com/aquarium/substrate-1695/sand-1696/swell-aquarium-silver-sand-377141.html) in my little tank and that doesn't seem to block the filter in there. I washed mine for like 30 mins to an hour in hot water then in some tank water before I put it in either of my tanks, did you wash yours?Your filter isn't to close to the sand is it?

I just use Argos play sand, fish seem to love it and it doesn't cause any issues with my filter.

thanks for the reply both....

Hmm apparently argos play sand is really fine and small so would do the same thing :/ but yes I washed all my sand before it went in and got rid of lots of rubbish from it.
Just not sure what to do about it as its a pain

Tempted to order some of that silver sand for my 4foot tank what do you think does it look good have you got any pics?

I want to get some rocks for the tank as well think im going to go to a garden centre for some

I know a lot of Mbuna keepers prefer sand but for me I use Aragonite. it keeps my pH solid @ 8.2 and keeps me from having to add anything to keep it there. As long as you have a high, stable pH, then my understanding is that pool sand works best because it has a larger grain size and doesn't pack the way play sand does. Good luck.

Yanks15 said:
I know a lot of Mbuna keepers prefer sand but for me I use Aragonite. it keeps my pH solid @ 8.2 and keeps me from having to add anything to keep it there. As long as you have a high, stable pH, then my understanding is that pool sand works best because it has a larger grain size and doesn't pack the way play sand does. Good luck.
Oh what is aragonite, I googled it and it came up with things that look like shells lol? any chance you could send a link maybe to it on ebay?

To be honest I have had this cichlid tank for about a year now and I haven't checked any of my PH levels or anything like that, I just knew the water was ok as I got it tested at the start but since then haven't tested anything else :./

I use CaribSea Aragonite- Seaflor special grade reef sand. Not sure why so many people using sand think that it is more natural. This stuff comes right from the ocean and has minerals like potassium, magnesium, potassium, calcium, etc. and has natural buffers that play/pool sand doesn't. I assume it's because of cost because Aragonite isn't cheap but it keeps me from having to add anything to my water to get it suitable for them or keep it stable. 

BTW, you should get a test kit so you can check your water periodically . I use the API Master Kit and it is pretty accurate and keeps you from taking the water anywhere to be tested. Plus, it is more accurate than strips.

I use pool filter sand in both of my tanks ( 55g and 20g ). I have no issues with it. Bought 50lbs for 14$. My 55g is done in a mystic white sand and my 20g is a light brown sand. Looks good I think and easier to clean ( all the waste sits on top of it and you just run your vac across the top, no need to to put it into the substrate ).

Yanks15 said:
I use CaribSea Aragonite- Seaflor special grade reef sand. Not sure why so many people using sand think that it is more natural. This stuff comes right from the ocean and has minerals like potassium, magnesium, potassium, calcium, etc. and has natural buffers that play/pool sand doesn't. I assume it's because of cost because Aragonite isn't cheap but it keeps me from having to add anything to my water to get it suitable for them or keep it stable. 

BTW, you should get a test kit so you can check your water periodically . I use the API Master Kit and it is pretty accurate and keeps you from taking the water anywhere to be tested. Plus, it is more accurate than strips.

Wow the stuff use starts of at £40 lol think i will stay away from that i cant afford it ha but otherwise it does look nice!
Hm ok i had a look and this is all i can really find online, what do you think. By the looks of it it only does PH how many things do i need to be checking?
CJH0825 said:
I use pool filter sand in both of my tanks ( 55g and 20g ). I have no issues with it. Bought 50lbs for 14$. My 55g is done in a mystic white sand and my 20g is a light brown sand. Looks good I think and easier to clean ( all the waste sits on top of it and you just run your vac across the top, no need to to put it into the substrate ).
ahh does it get sucked up in your filter at all? when your all saying pool filter sand do you literally mean sand that is meant for a swimming pool filter lol? as thats what came up but i thought it was a certain type haha... this is what i found.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sand-Filter-Media-For-Swimming-Pool-Filters-25kg-Bag-/271029157199?pt=UK_Swimming_Pools_Hot_Tubs&hash=item3f1a98bd4f
and
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SWIMMING-POOL-FILTER-MEDIA-SAND-25KG-BAG-/230482816504?pt=UK_Swimming_Pools_Hot_Tubs&hash=item35a9d8adf8

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
CJH- there's nothing wrong with using sand but for me I would most likely have to use additives to keep my water stable and the pH up. Quite a few keepers use sand and have to use additives every water change. I chose to use Aragonite and not add anything. You are lucky that you have good water for them out of the tap.

calvers- that's quite a bit more than I paid here in the states so I don't blame you. I didn't see a link to the test kit but you want one that tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH at least. And yes it is the same pool filter sand.

calversbuyuk said:

Wow the stuff use starts of at £40 lol think i will stay away from that i cant afford it ha but otherwise it does look nice!
Hm ok i had a look and this is all i can really find online, what do you think. By the looks of it it only does PH how many things do i need to be checking?
CJH0825 said:
ahh does it get sucked up in your filter at all? when your all saying pool filter sand do you literally mean sand that is meant for a swimming pool filter lol? as thats what came up but i thought it was a certain type haha... this is what i found.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sand-Filter-Media-For-Swimming-Pool-Filters-25kg-Bag-/271029157199?pt=UK_Swimming_Pools_Hot_Tubs&hash=item3f1a98bd4f
and
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SWIMMING-POOL-FILTER-MEDIA-SAND-25KG-BAG-/230482816504?pt=UK_Swimming_Pools_Hot_Tubs&hash=item35a9d8adf8

That is exactly what I use and no, the sand does not get sucked up the filter. i washed it down in a bucket, drained it, put it in my tank before I even put water in it, put my decor in, then took a 2 qt pail and poured my water onto the top of my decor so it wasn't dumped directly onto the sand as not to stir it up. When I got the tank 3/4 way full, switched on the filter and continued to fill the tank.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back