What Pleco Species Is This?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

100% sure it’s a rubber lip lol I have one as well! Adorable fellows. Mine is about the same size as yours currently. They can reach 8 in in length but they more often reach 6-7 inches. ? so they are nice mid size plecos lol.

100% sure it’s a rubber lip lol I have one as well! Adorable fellows. Mine is about the same size as yours currently. They can reach 8 in in length but they more often reach 6-7 inches. ? so they are nice mid size plecos lol.
ahh, i am still jealous of everyone that has a pleco haha :D

I've had a pleco since August and I have no idea what type he is. I got him from PetSmart but there was no species listed, all it says is Pleco (Large). It said his minimum tank size is 20 gallons but a lot of the PetSmart listings seem to be incorrect. I need to know because I'm not sure if he'll get too big for my smaller tank, 29 gallon. I can move him to my larger tank, 45 gallon. I took a few pictures but they're kinda crap because he won't leave his structure so I had to pick it up, which stirred up some debris. I've tried to get better pictures but I can't lol.

His name is Greg cus that's a fat dude name.
Don't worry about the debris, cleaning day is Friday!
Always a difficult species to identify without collection location but as has been said, don't like the water too warm, and need a lot of flow with surface movement to get high levels of oxygen. Not meaning to sound negative, but they can also be difficult to get feeding, but have heard good reports with stones left on a windowsill in a tub of water that will cover in algae quickly and these can be added to the tank. Also try algae wafers.
From the photos, it might be Chaetostoma formosae, but in every tank of rubberlip/bulldog plecs that I've ever seen, there are nearly always multiple species, so it's always worth having a good look at all the fish in the tank!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back