What Plants Should I Get?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
A couple of points:

We can't get mystery/apple snails in the UK (or anywhere in the EU). The import and spreading of them was banned several years ago.

If you want nerites and/or rabbit snails make sure you get EU grown plants. Those imported from outside the EU have to be treated with snail killer in case there are any apple snails or eggs on them.

We may have left the EU but laws made when we were members still stand until the UK government repeals them.

A couple of points:

We can't get mystery/apple snails in the UK (or anywhere in the EU). The import and spreading of them was banned several years ago.

If you want nerites and/or rabbit snails make sure you get EU grown plants. Those imported from outside the EU have to be treated with snail killer in case there are any apple snails or eggs on them.

We may have left the EU but laws made when we were members still stand until the UK government repeals them.
oh ok, makes sense, they're very invasive

A couple of points:

Aah thanks for the notice! I'll keep that in mind when I'm looking for snails (and plants).

For fast growing stems check out Limnophilla Sessiflora. Really nice easy to grow plant.

Carpeting plants are tricky in gravel your best bet are the grass type plants like Dwarf Sag. The smaller leaved ones often need a nutrient rich substrate and a more plant focused approach with lights, ferts and sometimes Co2.

Wills

oh ok, makes sense, they're very invasive
It's because one of the many species of apple snail was found in a river in Spain, so all species of apple snail were banned throughout the EU, which includes countries where they could never survive in winter.

Some pest snails will eat plants, so I would be wary of that.

Maybe get a few Nerite snails.
True...... but everything I've read about them says they will only eat certain leaves on plants that are deteriorating. I've had tons over the years. And what it tells me is, trim that leaf.... It's old and about to melt. I do wish we could breed our own Nerite snails though. Expensive to buy!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back