What Plants Possible With Low Tech

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kashifg

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi
im thinking of planting out my Trigon350, first i was considering artificial/silk plants. but i now am thinking some very basic plants may work.
Is plant growth possible with no co2, no flashy lights-but the standard juwel lighting, i have no plant substrate-will probably be using some fine black quarts gravel, no fertilisers.
im trying to get this going on the cheap, as you can probably see
What plants if any would survive in this setup?, i'll be using a few big pieces of driftwood

Hi Kashifg,

If you want to try and go with a live planted tank, on a budget low tech is the way to go. However you would need to use some ferts for them to thrive long term to be honest...

Even on the cheap it would be better to use a cheap brand of ferts as you will save in the long run as you hopefully won't have to replace the plants.#

I have been looking in to low tech plants recently and have been using this site as a guide: Low Tech Plant List @ http://www.plantedtanks.co.uk/

All the best,

TetraUk

thansk for that link, i think i'll give them a go. You wouldnt know if the pictures of plants are reflections of what you actually receive?

Try and avoid red plants...

Good starter plants are various Cryptocorynes, java ferns, java mosses and anubias. Some stem plants are good but may require ferts as they grow quickly.

Never used that website but I imagine the plants will be OK. Probably not quite as nice as the pictures! But then you'll have to pay more.

You do not "need" ferts at all. I have had low tech for years and have never used ferts. I have grown the following successfully: java fern, java moss, weeping moss, flame moss, christmas moss, anubias, various swords(rubin, melon, marble) crypts wendtii, various hygrophilia(except "sunset"), pygmy chain sword, hornwort, water lettuce, vallisneria, marimo moss ball. The growth will be slower but the end result will be heathy plants just the same.

EDIT to add: I have always planted in small gravel substrate

Just having a thought, i was going to replace the substrate with some black gravel. but i'm now wondering whether the existing coral sand will go with plants as well as the new community tank setup that i'll be going with? its the really fine type coral sand
my PH is at 7.5

Just having a thought, i was going to replace the substrate with some black gravel. but i'm now wondering whether the existing coral sand will go with plants as well as the new community tank setup that i'll be going with? its the really fine type coral sand
my PH is at 7.5

I'm not positive, but I think it will alter your pH?

thanks, but Ive decided against the coral sand, it will probably be too risky from the advice ive read.

You do not "need" ferts at all. I have had low tech for years and have never used ferts. I have grown the following successfully: java fern, java moss, weeping moss, flame moss, christmas moss, anubias, various swords(rubin, melon, marble) crypts wendtii, various hygrophilia(except "sunset"), pygmy chain sword, hornwort, water lettuce, vallisneria, marimo moss ball. The growth will be slower but the end result will be heathy plants just the same.

Strictly not true, light would be a big factor in regards to weather ferts are needed or not, someone that considers low light may not actually be so low.

What is the lighting? T5, T8..wattage?

Even some with low light have trouble unless they dose ferts, even if it's just once a week/month

Where there is one successful attempt, there are five that wasn't so successful.

So just because you have had great success in your method, doesn't mean the OP or the next person will have equal results.

Strictly not true, light would be a big factor in regards to weather ferts are needed or not, someone that considers low light may not actually be so low.

What is the lighting? T5, T8..wattage?

Even some with low light have trouble unless they dose ferts, even if it's just once a week/month

Where there is one successful attempt, there are five that wasn't so successful.

So just because you have had great success in your method, doesn't mean the OP or the next person will have equal results.

Yes, it is true. Do you know why? Because I have low tech and never use ferts and the plants grow....magical eh? Method? There is no method. Plants + fish poop. There is something to be said for keeping it simple and I will advocate it wherever I go. Just like you advocate ferts. I see no issue.

Yes, it is true. Do you know why? Because I have low tech and never use ferts and the plants grow....magical eh? Method? There is no method. Plants + fish poop. There is something to be said for keeping it simple and I will advocate it wherever I go. Just like you advocate ferts. I see no issue.

LOL.... can i just add a couple of things in reply?

Yes it is still a method, weather you or millions use this way.. it's still a 'method' and yes it works.

Magical?, no i didn't say it was or did i? lol.... i think you've mistook what i wrote. It may work for you... good for you... doesn't mean it will work for the OP so other ways have been suggested. As you have said .... "Just like you advocate ferts. I see no issue". Works both ways.

Right now to what my post was all about :rolleyes:, you stated the OP doesn't need ferts, yes?.... you came to this conclusion without asking any info whatsoever... lighting, stock levels etc etc.... how on earth could you advocate something without knowing any tank info?.... i will reiterate, just because your 'method' (same 'method' thousands use) works on your 'lowtech' tank.. without having any info you cant say for sure that it will work on the OP's tank. So dont you think.... to instantly say "you DO NOT need ferts at all" without any relevant info is abit presumptuous?.

exactly! The use of additional fertilizers depends entirely on the flow of nutrients in the tank. In low light nutrients are consumed slower, but in the end what it comes down to is you want light to be the limiting factor. If there is a lack of nutrients you need fertilizers. If there is no lack of nutrients you don't need fertilizers at all. It can depend on substrate and fish load but there is no exact yes or no to wheather you require fertilizers.

LOL.... can i just add a couple of things in reply?

Yes it is still a method, weather you or millions use this way.. it's still a 'method' and yes it works.

Magical?, no i didn't say it was or did i? lol.... i think you've mistook what i wrote. It may work for you... good for you... doesn't mean it will work for the OP so other ways have been suggested. As you have said .... "Just like you advocate ferts. I see no issue". Works both ways.

Right now to what my post was all about :rolleyes:, you stated the OP doesn't need ferts, yes?.... you came to this conclusion without asking any info whatsoever... lighting, stock levels etc etc.... how on earth could you advocate something without knowing any tank info?.... i will reiterate, just because your 'method' (same 'method' thousands use) works on your 'lowtech' tank.. without having any info you cant say for sure that it will work on the OP's tank. So dont you think.... to instantly say "you DO NOT need ferts at all" without any relevant info is abit presumptuous?.

Presumptuous? Not at all. But I should have clarified my statement, "You do not need ferts". I mean that in a manner of speaking, a "person" with low-tech doesn't need them(so maybe that makes you ok with my statement?) Ferts are not needed. And yes, of coarse I can share my own personal experience, that is the point of the forum. So, again, in a low-tech set up, they are not needed. And no, we can't say for sure that ANYTHING will work on anyone's tank(ferts may not work either).. But you seem pretty sure that he does need ferts though. So my statement is still correct, in a low-tech set up, the use of ferts is not needed. By any chance, do you work for a fertiliser company :hey: ? Hey, did I mention that ferts are not needed in a low-tech set up? Sorry for my sarcasm, the word magical was my thinking, wow, how are my plants growing then, wasn't trying to make you feel bad about yourself buddy. I will totally agree with you that if he chooses to have very bright lights and doesn't plan on dosing ferts or co2 that it could potentially cause some problems. I had standard jewel lighting on a tank and it was definitely low-tech though.

Sorry but just because it is low tech does not mean it doesn't need fertilizers. Sure it is true that most get buy just fine without fertilizers, but saying it a almost a given is completely incorrect. If there are growth issues in a low tech tank a lack or imbalance of nutrients can not be ruled out just because it is low tech. So in the end low tech does not instantly mean no fertilizers.

You want to lump my experiences in there too then. I run high tech and low tech tanks. I use enriched or organic based substrates in ALL my tanks regardless of light levels. I plant very heavily pretty much 100% even in low tech. If I did not use a enriched substrate even with the low tech I would HAVE to dose fertilizers as the growth rate could not be sustained otherwise. Sure you could get buy without fertilizers or a nutrient 'source' in the tank other then the tap water and fish, but growth rate would not be the same. Even in my el natural tank I'm pretty certain that its more or less has become hindered due to nutrient exhaustion. Had a amazing growth rate for over a year with a soil substrate, high bioload and no filter. I'm sure it still has plenty of nutrients in there in general, but something definitely became limiting a couple months ago. It only takes the lack of one type of nutrient to put a hamper on growth.

You seem to be assuming low tech means low-light levels when in reality low tech can easily have up to medium light and still be low tech. Again it comes down to how the tank is setup and how the nutrients flow in the tank.

???.... im a little confused now lol... have you actually read what ive written?

Presumptuous? Not at all. But I should have clarified my statement, "You do not need ferts". I mean that in a manner of speaking, a "person" with low-tech doesn't need them(so maybe that makes you ok with my statement?) Ferts are not needed.

By adding a little to your first comment doesn't make it any more correct lol.... Not all lowtech (as you call it) dont need ferts lol.... as ive mentioned, there are hundreds of people that also have failed in this method lol... so presuming just because yours works..everybody else's will also... is being Presumptuous.

I'm currently running a 60l with 15w over it (less than 1wpg), without ferts my plants fail, now how do you explain this?... it would be considered lowtech by your understanding but also by your understanding the plants should be thriving without ferts, they dont. Soooo.... how is your method correct and your comment about not needing ferts be justified?

And yes, of coarse I can share my own personal experience, that is the point of the forum.

Yes but your not just sharing your experience are you, your comments are speaking for experiences of everybody... otherwise you wouldn't have made such a broad/bold statement about all low tech tanks not needing ferts.

And no, we can't say for sure that ANYTHING will work on anyone's tank(ferts may not work either)

So in just one post you have gone from saying for definite ferts aren't needed to the above comment?.... 'I' didn't say ferts were definitely needed, i merely stated that it would depend on lighting, stock levels etc etc.. go back and check if you like lol.... however, algae is not contributed to ferts alone, it's contributed to an unbalanced tank so adding ferts would never really do any harm anyways, whatever isnt consumed would just stay within the water column till water change.

But you seem pretty sure that he does need ferts though

Again... NO I DIDNT.... please read previous comments before making more assumptions :rolleyes:

By any chance, do you work for a fertiliser company ? Hey, did I mention that ferts are not needed in a low-tech set up? Sorry for my sarcasm

LOL... yeh i work for a fert company, that's why i haven't mentioned any brand whatsoever :rolleyes: .... if you look at MY threads, you would also see i make my own ferts (Jake's brand pmsl)..... so your sarcasm will have to be something that is relevant to actually be offensive lol... sorry!!!

the word magical was my thinking, wow, how are my plants growing then, wasn't trying to make you feel bad about yourself buddy.

LOL.. you really are funny and so up your own #14### it's actually quite sad you have such an attitude about something you clearly know very little about :crazy: ..... if you read my posts CORRECTLY.... i haven't once stated that ferts were definitely needed (are you so wrapped up in your own sad little world that you cant actually read what comments actually mean instead you interpret it to something that suits you?).... it gets a bit boring to have to repeat a comment i initially made.... IT WOULD DEPEND ON LIGHTING AND STOCKING LEVELS ETC ETC ETC ETC.

BTW... i dont feel bad about anything... no sorry, i feel a little bad for you having such an attitude :good: :)

So before you comment further, just think about what my previous statements say and reply accordingly... rather than actually interpreting it in you own words and then throwing wrong accusations and info back :good: .

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back