What plants for tank w/ pleco?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FishFinatic77

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I want to add some plants into one of my tanks, but I don't know which would be able to withstand a pleco. I have tried anubias, but my pleco ate the rhizome and killed it. I have also tried some type of barteri (can't remeber the exact name), but he killed that too. The only thing that I have in the tsnk at the moment is anacharis which seems to be doing okay. Are there any other plants I could try?

I want to add some plants into one of my tanks, but I don't know which would be able to withstand a pleco. I have tried anubias, but my pleco ate the rhizome and killed it. I have also tried some type of barteri (can't remeber the exact name), but he killed that too. The only thing that I have in the tsnk at the moment is anacharis which seems to be doing okay. Are there any other plants I could try?
Ive never had a pleco eat any of my plants. White kind of pleco is it.
Also all plecos need wood to munch on and will actually graze on wood more than algae. Get wood supplement with veggies like blanched peas, lettuce, sweet potato, zucchini or algae wafers. If anything plecos may uproot plants as they swim around and if they ate eating them its because they are under fed.
Get some wood and most plants will be suitable.

Last edited:
Was the anubias planted in the substrate or attached to decor? If it was planted, the rhizome would have rotted, but if it was attached to wood, the plec may have damaged it to get at the wood.

The only plant I know with the name barteri is Anubias barteri.

I have an albino BNP in my 29g tank, he never eats my plants. He eats wood fiber from my driftwood and blanched cucumbers. I have never observed him eating plants...

I wanted to get him wood, but then the stores all closed, so I have to wait until everything opens. I am feeding him zucchini slices, so I know he isn't hungry. And, the anubias was tied to a piece of clay, so I know the rhizome didn't rot.

The only plant I know with the name barteri is Anubias barteri.

I meant Bacopa, sorry. :blush::whistle:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back