What Plants Are These - Can I Pot Them In Nice Pots?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

simonas

stuck between a rock and a fish tank
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I've got these two tree like plants in my front garden which get knocked by the kids and postman, they flower every year and look lovely. one has a whiteish mold growing on it, hardly any leaves but lotsof flowrs

can I pot these in nice pots like littl;e bonsai's and keeo them next to my pond or would they suffer in pots?

017-1.jpg

018-2.jpg

Close up of the leaves possible?

I'm no expert on plants, but my first instinct was Rhododendron, and very poor looking ones at that. Flowering by no means means the plants healthy, it could just be using up stored energy reserves and still going through it's regular cycles.

As I said, I'm not great at terrestrial plant ID's, but I could show my mum the pictures and she would most likely be able to ID it.

Are the leaves there the whole year? What is your soil like (pH, drainage etc)?.

Certainly some sort of deficiency there, and it looks like the ground is covered in weeds and mosses.

Moving them into a pot could kill them if you damage the root systems, as the plants already look poorly

Whatever it is, I would suggest moving all the weeds, grass and moss by hand (make sure you don't leave any dandelion roots, they are a bugger to get out , break easily and if you leave part of the root they will just grow back).

It needs some nutrition, something acidic is probably preferred (since it looks Rhododendron like), try getting some fine chipped pine bark and digging lots of it into to the soil around its roots, then watering every few weeks with a soluble plant food that provides NPK (these aren't expensive or hard to find at garden centres, the packets are fairly clear and should say "complete plant food"). It's pretty important you make sure the ground doesn't dry out too much over the summer, so keep an eye on the ground.

Get everything right for the plant, and getting bashed around loads should be no problem, rhododendrons are pretty tough and tenacious plants, so I very much doubt that's why its looking bad.

You have "Azaleas" they are from the Rhododendron family and the leaves will burst out in the next few weeks. You can put them in pots but must be planted in ericaceous compost as they hate lime keep them out of the midday sun in pots or they will wither.

I would just leave them where they are & give them a good mulch & feed them with ericaceous ferts, also a 3' bamboo cane would help to give the kids & postman a good slap when they get too close!!!! :grr:

I would personally leave them, ive found over a few years of gardening in many gardens that the old saying 'if it aint broke don't fix it' comes in a lot. the leaves should start to show on them as the flowers come out.

if no leaves come out then it has a deffieciency from the soil.

clear the surrounding soil of all weeds and grass and make sure the ground is kept moist.

cheers for that chaps

I might look for some at garden centre then cos they do look lovely in bloom and are remeniscent of a bonsai cos of the old trunk appearance

Most reactions

trending

Back