What On Earth Are These Things Coming Out Of My Bn Gill Area?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

mmanist

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
OK so I understand I have a BN, but didnt realize it has these crazy looking things that come out of its gill/cheek area..... It kinda freaked me out a minute. Wasnt sure what the heck it was. LOL till I seen this picture.. Could someone explain what they are there for...... Thanks Megan

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/image.php?species=ancistrus+sp(2)&image_id=3686

Think they use them for self defence? kinda difficult to swallow with those barbs sticking out! perhaps they do it if they feel threatened?

You know how a Betta fish will puff out it's gills to look big. The BN pleco can stick these gill spikes out to look tough when they want to tell the other fish to leave them alone. I have seen mine do this a few times. It's pretty cool.

Bettafish is Exactly right.

OK so I understand I have a BN, but didnt realize it has these crazy looking things that come out of its gill/cheek area..... It kinda freaked me out a minute. Wasnt sure what the heck it was. LOL till I seen this picture.. Could someone explain what they are there for...... Thanks Megan

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/image.php?species=ancistrus+sp(2)&image_id=3686

That looks pretty awsome! Looks like those hooks are designed to stop your plec entering too far into another fishes mouth ;)

My bristlenose kept doing that to my roayal plec when it went near it, moved the BN into another tank because of it .

Yep, they're spines used in defence.

They're cool but can be a nightmare when they get caught in the net!! Also, just another reason why BNs should be double (or triple) bagged when transported :D

Most plecs have these, I have a few commons that are in for winter and they have small barbs. My young BN has them, they are mainly for defense wen picked up or threatened. I'm sure they are picked by wild cats in the wild and thrash with these out to get rid of the cat and get back in the water by thrashing.

"Most plecs have these, I have a few commons that are in for winter and they have small barbs. My young BN has them, they are mainly for defense wen picked up or threatened. I'm sure they are picked by wild cats in the wild and thrash with these out to get rid of the cat and get back in the water by thrashing."

Agree.. My rubber nose has simular spikes too. My old medusa pleco got caught in the net and it was so hard to get him out because of thoes spikes.

They are called odontodes and can be considered as dermal teeth. They grow usually on the operculum (gill cover) and pectoral fins. In some species they can grow along the caudal peduncle as well. They are a sign of maturity and are primarily used to trap females in caves and alike for spawning, they are also used when fighting.

Do common Plecs have these?

What species don't have these?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back