6 black mollies
4 glofish
1 albino sailfin molly
3 whiteclouds
1 giant danio
And 2 head tail lights

They are in a 20.5 gallon tank

What oddball can I add?
Nothing, need to sort your current stock out a little first. Not sure what a head tail light refers to, giant danio is too big and should be kept in shoals. Whiteclouds if referring to minnows prefer cool temps, Molly's do best in a brackish setup. If Glofish are dyed i'd then i'd take them back to where you got them from.

I third what always4lora said. You gotta fix your stocking issues before thinking about adding anything.

always4lora said:
My fish are
1 wagtail platy
6 black mollies
4 glofish
1 albino sailfin molly
3 whiteclouds
1 giant danio
And 2 head tail lights

What oddball can I add?
Nothing, need to sort your current stock out a little first. Not sure what a head tail light refers to, giant danio is too big and should be kept in shoals. Whiteclouds if referring to minnows prefer cool temps, Molly's do best in a brackish setup. If Glofish are dyed i'd then i'd take them back to where you got them from.

Agreed with the "nothing" part. To clarify for anyone reading who's confused.

1) Head & Tail Lights are tetras - as such they ought to be ina group of 6.
2) Giant danio and white cloud mountain minnows are both shoaling species and prefer temperate water.
3) Sailfin molly needs a bigger tank than 20gal
4) The part about mollies doing best in brackish conditions is the poster's opinion, there is plenty of debate around this issue, however if they are not in brackish water, then they do need to be in hard water
5) Glofish(R) are genetically modified zebra danios, again they are shoaling species, and prefer temperate water. They have had the colour genes of a jellyfish (IIRC) inserted into their DNA, which produces the artificial colouring. They aren't dyed. They are still, in my humble opinion, an abhorrence, and should, again in my opinion, be boycotted. There are plenty of beautiful fish which occur naturally, without having to manufacture these things. They are illegal in the UK.

thanks guys! I just bought a new 60 gallon tank and added the fish that you said and I also separated the other fish:)

the_lock_man said:

My fish are
1 wagtail platy
6 black mollies
4 glofish
1 albino sailfin molly
3 whiteclouds
1 giant danio
And 2 head tail lights

What oddball can I add?

Agreed with the "nothing" part. To clarify for anyone reading who's confused.

1) Head & Tail Lights are tetras - as such they ought to be ina group of 6.
2) Giant danio and white cloud mountain minnows are both shoaling species and prefer temperate water.
3) Sailfin molly needs a bigger tank than 20gal
4) The part about mollies doing best in brackish conditions is the poster's opinion, there is plenty of debate around this issue, however if they are not in brackish water, then they do need to be in hard water
5) Glofish(R) are genetically modified zebra danios, again they are shoaling species, and prefer temperate water. They have had the colour genes of a jellyfish (IIRC) inserted into their DNA, which produces the artificial colouring. They aren't dyed. They are still, in my humble opinion, an abhorrence, and should, again in my opinion, be boycotted. There are plenty of beautiful fish which occur naturally, without having to manufacture these things. They are illegal in the UK.

Part 1 - Didn;t know this, good reason to use proper names for fish i guess :)
Part 4 - Like you said theres debate on this but if you need to have specific water hardness for them to thrive in freshwater yet they thrive in brackish water avoiding extremes then i'd take that as they're a brackish species. Like you said my opinion 
Part 5 - How do they get the Gene's into their DNA? Can't imagine it's pleasent either way :(

They add the dna when the fish is an egg, they don't feel it, and it's sure better than dyeing them.

Tek oot.

Yup. The original idea was to try to manufacture a fish that would flouresce in the presence of certain environmental toxins. THen they thought, "Oooh, this looks nice, I 'spec people would like these in their fish tanks". So they decided to try some different colours.

They are also illegal in California. The authorities did offer the manufacturers an exemption, if they undertook some sort of study which would have cost several hundred thousand $ and take several years to complete. They didn't bother, just to market their product in one of the 51 states.

Hi ya, good move on the bigger tank. For a 60gal (poviding your current stocking is sorted out) I would suggest things like african butterfly fish, senagal bichir, upside down catfish (need to be in groups), possibly rope fish. id say things like knife fish maybe a little too active for a 60gal as they dart about alot!

good luck!  

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back