April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

nannobrycon9292

Reaction score
Just bought it at local store, but nobody knows it’s name.need some help thanks
B04FA9B2-9E67-44D0-8282-492E4DB2A755.jpeg
A14F6C46-E830-45FD-90DA-5A1BE9882A23.jpeg

might be wrong but it looks like a red eye tetra to me...

Hemigrammus ocellifer suggests itself to me too, but I have a slight doubt. More and clear photos might help. There looks to be an adipose fin, which is not present on H. ocellifer, and the fish in the two photos is a bit narrower top to bottom. The upper and lower colour blotches in the caudal fin itself are not evident, though this may be the photos or the stressed condition of the fish. There are so many "new" characins being imported now that are frequently very similar to well-known species.

Here's a photo from online of H. ocellifer for reference.

Attachments

• Hemigrammus ocellifer1.jpg
    Hemigrammus ocellifer1.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 30
Possibly a costello tetra (hemigrammus hyanuary).

Hemigrammus ocellifer suggests itself to me too, but I have a slight doubt. More and clear photos might help. There looks to be an adipose fin, which is not present on H. ocellifer, and the fish in the two photos is a bit narrower top to bottom. The upper and lower colour blotches in the caudal fin itself are not evident, though this may be the photos or the stressed condition of the fish. There are so many "new" characins being imported now that are frequently very similar to well-known species.

Here's a photo from online of H. ocellifer for reference.
Thanks.here some photos

Attachments

• 0B4B8E85-EED5-46F7-B4C6-0054EEEDD0E8.jpeg
    0B4B8E85-EED5-46F7-B4C6-0054EEEDD0E8.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 4ACBE2FA-DD46-4618-BD5A-60D52D1171F7.jpeg
    4ACBE2FA-DD46-4618-BD5A-60D52D1171F7.jpeg
    221.1 KB · Views: 32
  • FF943BC2-8DB0-43FA-BA8B-F3ACFAB8147E.jpeg
    FF943BC2-8DB0-43FA-BA8B-F3ACFAB8147E.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 47A1200A-775D-4C9A-97E1-7DD34DDF3FB5.jpeg
    47A1200A-775D-4C9A-97E1-7DD34DDF3FB5.jpeg
    143.4 KB · Views: 36
Looks like a head and tail light tetra to me. @nannobrycon9292 is this all the same fish, or is there more than one? I ask because, as Byron pointed out, in the left-facing pictures it does seem to have an adipose fin, but in the right-facing pics it clearly doesn't. So I'm thinking that might be a little blob of something, not an adipose fin..

The body seems a bit more elongated than most head and tail lights i've seen but perhaps it is my imagination.

Now that we have the four additional photos, I will go out on a limb (maybe) and say this is definitely not H. ocellifer, and I say that with considerable confidence.

@nannobrycon9292 as you are there to see this fish "live," can you please answer the question about the presence or not of an adipose fin?

I will also say that as you are in China, you are privileged to see many "new" characins being imported. I am on a characin group and the Chinese members are always posting photos of unidentified species. [Actually, that gives me a thought, I may post one of these photos on that group and see what info comes back.]

It appears this fish has not been described (and thus not named scientifically), but has been assumed to be in the genus Hyphessobrycon. According to members on the characin group, Hyphessobrycon sp. "tricolor" is being used at least in Japan. This link to a photo is provided; text is in Japanese but you can translate.

Hyphessobrycon is something of a "catch all" genus, and undoubtedly many of the species classified in this genus today will end up in different genera. The following from my published profi8le on another site may explain for those interested.

The genus Hyphessobrycon--the name from the Greek hyphesson [believed to mean "slightly smaller"] and brycon [=to bite]--was erected by C.H. Durbin in 1908 and presently contains more than 143 [source: Fishbase] described species. The classification is deemed incertae sedis [Latin, "of uncertain placement"]. It was formerly considered within the subfamily Tetragonopterinae, but Javonillo et.al. (2010) suggest that this subfamily should be restricted to species within the genus Tetragonopterus since they do not share physiological characteristics with species in other genera such as Hyphessobrycon.​
Authors that have recently studied the systematics of the genus Hyphessobrycon have unanimously pointed out that the group is not well defined and its monophyly is yet uncertain. [A monophyletic genus is one wherein the species share a common ancestor, thus linking them together physiologically.] Mirande (2009) for example has proposed several revisions to the family Characidae based upon phylogenetic diagnosis. Some genera have been moved to a new subfamily, while others are now (temporarily) assigned to a specific clade within the family pending further study. The recognition of groups of species [clades] within Hyphessobrycon is based primarily on similarities of color patterns; an hypothesis of its intra-relationships is currently unavailable, except for the rosy tetra clade proposed as monophyletic by Weitzman & Palmer (1997).​
Hyphessobrycon has until recently been differentiated from Hemigrammus solely on the basis of the fish in Hemigrammus possessing a scaled caudal fin; this however is now known to be unreliable, since it occurs in intermediate conditions (de Lucina, 2003). The type species of the genus, Hyphessobrycon compressus Meek 1904, has been redescribed (Carvalho & Malabarba, 2015).​

References:
Carvalho, Fernando R. and Luiz R. Malabarba (2015), "Redescription and osteology of Hyphessobrycon compressus (Meek) (Teleostei: Characidae), type species of the genus," Neotropical Ichthyology, 13 (3), pp. 513-540.​

de Lucena, Carlos Alberto Santos (2003), "A new characid fish, Hyphessobrycon scutulatus, from the Rio Teles Pires drainage, upper Rio Tapajos system (Ostariophysi: Characiformes: Characidae)," Neotropical Ichthyology 1 (2), pp. 93-96.​
Javonillo, Robert, Luiz R. Malabarba, Stanley H. Weitzman and John R. Burns (2010), "Relationships among major lineages of characid fishes (Teleostei: Ostariophysi: Characiformes), based on molecular sequence data," Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, Vol. 54, No. 2 (February 2010).​
Mirande, J. Marcos (2009), "Weighted parsimony phylogeny of the family Characidae (Teleostei: Characiformes)," Cladistics, Vol. 25, No. 6 (July 2009).​
Weitzman, Stanley H. & Lisa Palmer (1997), "A new species of Hyphessobrycon (Teleostei: Characidae) from the Neblina region of Venezuela and Brazil, with comments on the putative 'rosy tetra clade'," Ichthyological Exploration of Freshwaters, Volume 7 (no. 3), pp. 209-242.​

Since posting yesterday, Flavio Lima who is a trained biologist in Brazil has responded to my initial post on the characin group and informed me that this is indeed a new species, similar to H. ocellifer but unquestionably a different distinct species, originating from Peru. That settles it, and we shall have to await the description by whichever ichthyologist to have a name.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back