What Livebearers Can Crossbreed?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

TheSims3Dude

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have 3 pineapple swordtails (2 females, 1 male) 2 Varied Platys, (both males) 4 Mollies (3 Females and 1 male, 1 black female, 1 white female, 1 dalmation female and 1 black male) 2 Guppies (1 male and 1 female) I was wondering can my fish crossbreed? And if so, what ones can with what other ones (like swordtails with mollies? etc,) Because most of my female fish are pregnant! and I only have a 20 Gallon Tank (and another 15 Gallon, but it's my dad's tank) I don't know what to do!

P.S. they're all at different stages of pregnancy so I'm kinda at a loss of what to do... :blink:

swordtails will cross with platies
all mollies can breed with other types of mollies
guppies will cross with Endler's livebearers.

if you want to breed livebearers, then you should keep one species per tank. Or keep species that don't hybridise, ie: guppies and platies, or swordtails and mollies.

Bear in mind they may have been pregnant before leaving the local fish store.
I acquired 4 mollies from my LFS a couple of weeks back and one of them gave birth to 20 fry just 5 days later.
another was pregnant when I bought her and she still is now.

Female mollies can also hold sperm for more than one pregnancy. so even if housed seperately from Males, they can continue to give birth for multiple cycles.

The parents will eat their own fry, so if you dont have a breeding tank and want to save any of the little critters i'd suggest creating plenty of hiding spots within the tank if you want any to make it.

What would a Platy cross Swordtail look like? just a normal swordy or a platy with a tail?

Jake

It depends on which gene is most dominant, but they generally are a bit longer than a platy but not as long as a swordtail. And some have short swordtail filaments and others don't get anything.
Many common swordtails and platies originate from platy x swords. This was done many years ago to give them more colour. However, it isn't recommended these days as you mess up the work that has gone into producing the colour strains that are currently available.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back