What LED or brand makes color pop?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Stan510

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I miss fluorescent pen plax gro bulbs so much! Locally,nobody is selling fluorescents. Last year? Yes...2021 must have been the cut off for the pet-co-marts-clubs to discontinue ordering them. What I have learned on my own is that Amazon reviews are all lies or people easily satisfied ( it lights!)..because a Yescom I bought almost two years ago?..fair in light quality. Brand new,it seemed very bright but I see even my Walmart LED shop light is much brighter. Neither is even close in nice color to the fluorescent double I run with twin power glow 40w lights..that Petclub is not selling anymore.
So,the sticker shock of better LED lights is amazing. Aqueon makes you buy the fixture ($135) and then $20 more for lights I think. LED strips that are replaceable. The reviews on it seem sort of flat. Nobody is claiming great color.
I would go Fluval 3.0. if I have too. But Is there no slam bam,no doubt LED with great color for a decent price? Even buy two for more light intensity?
I would think color quality would the dominate subject on any lighting forums!...doesn't seem to be these days.
Well,time to give my old fluorescent fixture and both bulbs a big hug. I never appreciated them as much as I do now?

I have heard good things about Nicrew brand! I have 1 on my 55, but I haven't had it long and Im not experienced with lights, so not sure if it is a great option long term or not, but so far I love mine, makes the red on my Bloodfin tetras pop!

A brand to look into. But,I tell you..when I hear how great some lights are? The poor color they put out and the host says "Plants grow great"...maybe,but Kessels put no color on fish or plants. LEDs in general seem red and blue and green accuracy challenged.
Also- I notice that some 'scapers on youtube,have cameras that give great color to the tank..much nicer than if it was the tanks lighting.
Then you have the needless complexity that just adds to the cost of lights. I was reading that Fluval makes you download an app just to put the light on at first use?..why? I want to plug it in,and have it light up. On -off button. ALL I want.
I can see no company really wants to make a great basic light with no bells and whistles.

I hope you find a good light! I am sure some more experienced people will be able to offer some advice soon!

I see a Finnex that seems ok..but all I can do is guess. When nobody else you know is a fish fanatic? You self teach.
Amazing to me how few people mention how colorful it makes the tank look..its all about intensity nowadays. I could get flood lights if that's the main criteria!
For decades I had it down pat on fluorescents. Time to start over..and about at 10x the price..

Its so crazy that NOBODY has fluorescents! Yeah, Im sure different tank setups have different needs and intensities, but I agree, how the lighting affects the coloration of your decor and fish should be one of the main concerns, especially in a display tank. Good luck finding a light! You could try amazon, I think most of their stuff has free returns, if you wanted to order a light and if it doesn't meet your needs, just return it, depending on where you are located

Local fish store uses fluorescents where he can..switches over to LED when the ballasts go out on light fixtures near 20 years old.
In fact, I used to use fluorescents that had ballasts with little plug in thingys that you bought at hardware stores. It was sort of like Tubes to today's circuits I guess.
Like high end stereo's -lol,I insist old days bulbs were a better light vs hard LED.

Number very impressed with Nicrew lights. So good and yet so underrated.

The only downside is that they usually don’t have a remote or a dimness/color adjustment, and they aren’t water proof/resistant.

Do you have a black background on your tank? Having one of these will help your fish/plants really pop.

I use black compactor trash bags but any black paper will work. (I use the trash bags because they are water proof. If you get paper wet, it shows through the back glass...)

Going to go down the list of nicrew and see what's what. Amazon seems also the best way to do mail order. Free shipping on lights.
The bulbs don't last 20 years...the fixtures do..usually rust and they short out. I never would have guessed such a stalwart of the aquarium hobby would go extinct!

The only downside is that they usually don’t have a remote or a dimness/color adjustment, and they aren’t water proof/resistant.
I know the SkyLed Plus has a dimness and color adjustment, but no remote. Don't know about the other lights Nicrew offers though.
I use black compactor trash bags but any black paper will work. (I use the trash bags because they are water proof. If you get paper wet, it shows through the back glass...)
That is genius. I never thought of that?

I know the SkyLed Plus has a dimness and color adjustment, but no remote. Don't know about the other lights Nicrew offers though.

That is genius. I never thought of that?
Honestly never seen that model before. Looks pretty nice though. Some good reviews. :good:

Yup! Scotch tape and garbage bags. :lol:

Fluval Aquasky 2.0.

They have bluetooth connectivity, and you can adjust so much and they put out great lighting. You can adjust it to your taste even, by color. You can add weather effects, like cloud cover, lightening storms ect. These can be put on a timer as well so you can have your tank randomly have a storm and blow your friends minds. Very good lights with a ton of flexibility.

I've had Marineland lighting, Tetra lighting, florescents, National Geographic (best feature of these is the timer and night vs day lighting (blue and white and some combination but nothing special) and they are the same as Marineland lighting),.ect. I've found the flexibility of these lights very nice. I will be adding them to all my tanks soon.

The app for the lights can be finnicky, but once you figure it out it is a non-stop barrel of effects and lighting combinations...you'll be able to dial in your color pop effects of the fish with ease.

As for backing, most pet stores sell it by the foot cheap with pretty pictures. I just quit using them, and I think it makes the tank look better...more real....I dunno. The bag idea is good if you're looking for solid colors (or you could get creative with different bags or whatever...)....

Honestly never seen that model before. Looks pretty nice though. Some good reviews. :good:
It is the one I have, I love it so far! I panic every time I drip a drop of water on it?

I am definitely going to try that for my background on my 55, except I think we may be out of black trash bags?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back