What Kind Of Turtle Is This?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

razer121

THE Triop Man XD
Reaction score
so...long story short they have been rescued im not going to go into detail mind you! so heres some pictures...

DSC01208.jpg

DSC01207.jpg

DSC01209.jpg

DSC01211-1.jpg

DSC01206.jpg

DSC01205.jpg

there very cool but ive been abit wary of them incase there some kind of import turtle, anyone who can shed some light on what they may be? thanks!

just thought i might add, im sure its some kind of terrapin turtle

They are yellow eared terrapins, just like the red ears but yellow eared the care is the same as red ears, they are common so don't worry, I used to keep red ears years and years ago, do you know what you are letting yourself in for? these guys can grow as big as dinner plates! :lol:

Yellow bellied sliders, or yellow bellied terrapins are another common name for them, so cute :hyper:

thanks guys! i was worried they may be a "yellow belly" something that carried salmaneler (sorry no idea how its spelt) or something, there is 5 of them, 1 tiny one and 4 largish ones, we have them in a 3ft by 2.5ft tank at the mo, going to try and find homes for some and possibly keep 1 or 2,

thanks guys! i was worried they may be a "yellow belly" something that carried salmaneler (sorry no idea how its spelt) or something, there is 5 of them, 1 tiny one and 4 largish ones, we have them in a 3ft by 2.5ft tank at the mo, going to try and find homes for some and possibly keep 1 or 2,
Lovely photos, wish I could take some like those of mine but they keep moving!
Well done for rescuing them. I've just adopted 3 rescued turtles too (yes I've decided to keep them!)Mine look like yours but are plain yellow underneath, no black spots.
As one turtle beginner to another, are you aware of their requirements regarding temperature, basking lamps, water heaters and huge powerful external filter? For free advice,try the Turtle Rescue centre which another Forum member recommended to me.
Telephone: 07951033456 wayne rampling
HARWICH,Essex
They are really friendly and helpful,very encouraging for turtle beginners.They will advise you on the easiest and cheapest setup for your new turtles and also sell cheap turtle food on Ebay.

Just an FYI, all terrapins are capable of carrying salmonella so be sure to wash hands after handling.

Just an FYI, all terrapins are capable of carrying salmonella so be sure to wash hands after handling.

see now that is something ive always been worried about with them! at the moment the person she we got them of is insisting there not terrapins.....the guy says there california yellow bellied sliders, and that if they were terrapins they wuold bite your finger of? is this right??

They are terrapins I think Sliders is just what they call them in the US but they are the same thing, they all carry salmonella but as long as good hygiene is practised then you should have nothing to worry about, as for biting your finger off I think that may be a bit of an exaggeration but all turtles are able to give a nasty bite as they have very sharp beaks so be careful!

all turtles can give a nasty bite. and some like (or rather dont mind) to be handled more than others. My painted turtle (a "relative" of that cute little yellow belly) doesnt mind at all when handled. very docile. she is a very personable turtle and is a wonderful pet.
turtles are great and very interesting. but they are a HUGE commitment. Certainly not a pet to be purchased/rehomed on impulse.
enjoy the turtle :)
cheers

ok, now all i need is some expert advice :) does anyone know the scientific name for these guys?? you know there offical name? also...does anyone know of a fact sheet i can get anywhere. also what sort of price to people pay for these guys? there has been some real random choice on pricing, some offer £10 others £50!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back