What Kind Of This Cory?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PC1963

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, Could anyone let me know what kind of this Cory?
It wild cought from Peru, I has two of these about three weeks ago.

It is Corydoras melini or Corydoras davidsandsi and what different between these two. It looks similar to me.

Thank you

Attachments

• DSC03595.jpg
    DSC03595.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 63
I'd say out of those 2 it would be a melini due to the colouration on the dorsal fin. Also the melini's colour is similar to that in your photo whereas the davidsandi is more a pale colour. This is just judging out of the 2 possibilities you pointed out, It Might be a C Number due to the number of striped corys.

I'd say out of those 2 it would be a melini due to the colouration on the dorsal fin. Also the melini's colour is similar to that in your photo whereas the davidsandi is more a pale colour. This is just judging out of the 2 possibilities you pointed out, It Might be a C Number due to the number of striped corys.

Hello Kuhni

Thank you for reply. At first I got the fish color was much lighter more pale white and now change more dark color. It was very beautiful pale color and now chaning it. But I still love this fish.

Here is another one of cory.

What is C Number, I'm new on the information of Corydoras.

Attachments

• DSC03613.jpg
    DSC03613.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 65
I checked through the corydoras listed on planet catfish and I'm quite sure wat you have is a C. Melini. It also has the yellow spot near it's gill cover :).

lol didn't think you'd reply already. I'm also quite new but my understanding of C numbers is it's a number given to a certain cory while it is still being classified as a new species or just a colour variation.

I still believe it's a melini even though it's colour may have been a little paler due to the fact the black on the dorsal fin goes all the way to the tip.

It is Corydoras melini or Corydoras davidsandsi and what different between these two. It looks similar to me.

Thank you

It can be quite difficult to tell the difference between the Corydoras melini and Corydoras davidsandsi. I agree that is most likely a Corydoras melini. From what I can tel the C. melini are taller then the C. davidsandsi.

That cory in the first picture behind the C. melini, is that a Corydoras semiaquilus? It sure looks like one...

Thank you

It can be quite difficult to tell the difference between the Corydoras melini and Corydoras davidsandsi. I agree that is most likely a Corydoras melini. From what I can tel the C. melini are taller then the C. davidsandsi.

That cory in the first picture behind the C. melini, is that a Corydoras semiaquilus? It sure looks like one...

Hi Barracuda518

Yes, I believe that is Semiquilus, but the Fist store sell to me as Black Peru Cory.

I guess is the same fish as Semiquilus.

Attachments

• Copy_of_DSC03327.jpg
    Copy_of_DSC03327.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 50
That indeed is a C. semiaquilus :good:

Very nice find. You are the only other person on this board that I have seen to have these. How many were you able to get (I can see five) and what are you feeding them?

EDIT: Peru Black Cory is a common name for the C. semiaquilus. But that can be very confusing because some people call the Black C. aeneus that too.

Here are some pictures of mine the day I got them in and they had not settled in yet. They have since darkened up nicely:

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0906-1.jpg

The first picture is C. davidsandsi and the second one is C. melini. Firstly C. davidsandsi is a larger fish, up to 60 mm SL. for a female were as C. melini only grows to 45 mm SL. (SL. = Standard Length = Body length).

Secondly the black stripe in C. davidsandsi covers the ridge of the back and in C. melini there is body colour on the ridge.

Ian

corydoras_davidsandsi_pr_species_large.jpg

corydoras_melini_species_large.jpg

That indeed is a C. semiaquilus :good:

Very nice find. You are the only other person on this board that I have seen to have these. How many were you able to get (I can see five) and what are you feeding them?

EDIT: Peru Black Cory is a common name for the C. semiaquilus. But that can be very confusing because some people call the Black C. aeneus that too.

Here are some pictures of mine the day I got them in and they had not settled in yet. They have since darkened up nicely:

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0906-1.jpg

Hi Barracuda518

I have 6 of them, there were over twenty of fish for sell. LFS want $14.99 but I able to get it for $12.99 + Tax. No shipping fee. [How much you paid for you]

It is wild cought, it is lazy fish sleep or laid on bottom the tank most of the time and very active and greedy when feeding.

I'm feeding them with Hikari sinking wafers[ they didn't care but other love it], Hikari Micro pellets [they kind of like it], Blood worm [gone crazy], Daphnia [ love it] but I'm affriad will cause bad water due to uneaten food but got alot of small type Corys take care left over.

I went back to day most of the fish is gone only two left.

Also I bought 6 pandas the same week two was not made it and I went back and got replacement. All doing well [all wild cought and adult size]

Today I able to get the Green Lazer and Orange Lazer one of each it is very odd I did asking the Peruvian man why you have only one of each. He reply it came with the hard to find mixed cory bag.

When I got two of the C.melini/C. Davidsandsi [not sure] I wrote on the bag as Cory Melini but he told me is not what that name [C.melini], the reason is wrote C.melini on the bag was what they has in the computer system. That is why I still not sure what was the fish type.

Thank you

Hi Barracuda518

I have 6 of them, there were over twenty of fish for sell. LFS want $14.99 but I able to get it for $12.99 + Tax. No shipping fee. [How much you paid for you]

It is wild cought, it is lazy fish sleep or laid on bottom the tank most of the time and very active and greedy when feeding.

I'm feeding them with Hikari sinking wafers[ they didn't care but other love it], Hikari Micro pellets [they kind of like it], Blood worm [gone crazy], Daphnia [ love it] but I'm affriad will cause bad water due to uneaten food but got alot of small type Corys take care left over.

Also I bought 6 pandas the same week two was not made it and I went back and got replacement. All doing well [all wild cought and adult size]

Today I able to get the Green Lazer and Orange Lazer one of each it is very odd I did asking the Peruvian man why you have only one of each. He reply it came with the hard to find mixed cory bag.

When I got two of the C.melini/C. Davidsandsi [not sure] I wrote on the bag as Cory Melini but he told me is not what that name [C.melini], the reason is wrote C.melini on the bag was what they has in the computer system. That is why I still not sure what was the fish type.

Thank you

Yeah, one each of the orange and green laser isnt good, but its better then nothing. You could ask him to order some more so you can increase the numbers.

C. panda can be very sensitive and Ive heard they do best in a species only tank. They are very shy and timid. They can get sick and die quickly once they do.

I would go by what coryman said, he knows what he is talking about when it comes to cories.

Hi Barracuda518

Thank you

Yeah, one each of the orange and green laser isnt good, but its better then nothing. You could ask him to order some more so you can increase the numbers.

C. panda can be very sensitive and Ive heard they do best in a species only tank. They are very shy and timid. They can get sick and die quickly once they do.

I would go by what coryman said, he knows what he is talking about when it comes to cories.

Well I has to find Green and Orange Lazer from another Fish store, I did asking the LFS when the next fish shippment from Peru come " He reply don't know yet" but the Brazil shipment maybe arrive sometime soon"

So I can't very depending on them, the Orange Lazer easy to find around here than Green Lazer.

About Cory Panda they doing fine with larger fish, Guess the Panda more number that bigger fish.

Panda was a wild catch and adult size, they do verywell with Frozen food and Pallet food. [Adaping very well in new environment]. This guy a little shy but when food come they aren't at all. I love them.

About the Cory Melini/ Cory Davidsandsi I just leave it for my mistery fish until I have new Cory Melini and will compare with it.

Hi PC1963 :)

If Coryman said your fish is a C. melini, you can bet money on it! :nod:

He has co-authored a book (with Hans Georg-Evers) called Identifying Coryeoradinae Catfish. It's a beautiful, well illustrated book and a fine addition to any cory lover's library.

Most reactions

Back