What kind of singular fish can I have with mystery snails?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Maddie Dalsing

Reaction score
So I have a 5 gallon snail tank, zero fish and just mystery snails, Iā€™ve been considering getting one fish to put in, I was thinking a Betta but I donā€™t want anything aggressive hurting my snails. (But are Betta aggressive towards snails? I donā€™t know, I know goldfish are) Theyā€™re my babies. I also donā€™t want more than one fish, so like the kind of fish that need to be in a group is a no. I also know that a goldfish is a definite no because they will hurt the snails. So what else is there thatā€™s pretty, doesnā€™t need a group of other fish, and isnā€™t aggressive towards snails?

Attachments

• 8A9EC764-BCDB-4FDE-BCF1-836DA5D0BD95.jpeg
    8A9EC764-BCDB-4FDE-BCF1-836DA5D0BD95.jpeg
    331 KB · Views: 81
A betta is probably your only option for a singular fish, Ive noticed they wil pick at really tiny snails, but unless you want to keep every Last one of those babies then A betta would work, personally I would do a couple male guppies or a group of 4-6 male endlers

So I have a 5 gallon snail tank, zero fish and just mystery snails, Iā€™ve been considering getting one fish to put in, I was thinking a Betta but I donā€™t want anything aggressive hurting my snails. (But are Betta aggressive towards snails? I donā€™t know, I know goldfish are) Theyā€™re my babies. I also donā€™t want more than one fish, so like the kind of fish that need to be in a group is a no. I also know that a goldfish is a definite no because they will hurt the snails. So what else is there thatā€™s pretty, doesnā€™t need a group of other fish, and isnā€™t aggressive towards snails?
You mentioned goldfish? I hope you do know goldfish and betta fish need completely different environments.

You could consider some small fish like guppies. I just noticed you have a 5 gallon tank so 6-8 ember tetras I think would be too many.

Last edited:
No tetras in a 5G. They need more swimming length. My bettas donā€™t seem to bother my snails but they may eat babies when Iā€™m not looking.

Guppies will work but you need at least 6 or more.

Guppies really need more swimming space too. About the only thing in a 5G will be a betta. Perhaps a female betta would be less aggressive. Each betta has its own personality and it just depends. A 5G tank is just too tiny for anything else. Have you considered a few red cherry shrimp?

Guppies really need more swimming space too. About the only thing in a 5G will be a betta. Perhaps a female betta would be less aggressive. Each betta has its own personality and it just depends. A 5G tank is just too tiny for anything else. Have you considered a few red cherry shrimp?
What about Kuhli loaches?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back