What Kind Of Silicon Can I Use To Redo A Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

jazz298

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I had a tank given to me but the silicone has gone moldy and i would like to re-do it. What kind of silicon can i use from home depot or home/northern hardware, if there is any..

well aqarium silicone would be best to use on the safe side,but me and my mate had a debate a few weeks ago ,that normal clear silicone was the same as quatic silicone i know clear has the least toxins as any other ;and no toxins when its dry , but i carnt qwote that its sutable for a tank

ya i know its the safest but its pricey where i live..so i was hoping to get away with some other kind, do you know the name of it?

well aqarium silicone would be best to use on the safe side,but me and my mate had a debate a few weeks ago ,that normal clear silicone was the same as quatic silicone i know clear has the least toxins as any other ;and no toxins when its dry , but i carnt qwote that its sutable for a tank
id take ure old silicone off ,only on the inside with a stanly knife then use masking tape 5mm from each corner or bottom were u want to repaire it put ure silicone were you want to use it ,use a medicaine spone the plastic ones to get a smothe finish finish take masking tape off and leave to dry :good: http://www.aquatics-warehouse.co.uk/acatal..._SEALER_83.html
id take ure old silicone off ,only on the inside with a stanly knife then use masking tape 5mm from each corner or bottom were u want to repaire it put ure silicone were you want to use it ,use a medicaine spone the plastic ones to get a smothe finish finish take masking tape off and leave to dry :good: http://www.aquatics-warehouse.co.uk/acatal..._SEALER_83.html
i know iv put finish twice iv just read back lol :rolleyes:

i have to redo all inside silicone, all 4 corners from top to bottom

Does anyone else know of any kind of silicone that can be used, OTHER then aquatic silicone

If you search the board, you will find many threads on this subject, with a very polar attitude.

In general, bathroom or kitchen silicones, most house constructional versions, contain fungicides which will kill you fish.

There are a number of "for fish tank" silicones which are obviously the safest, but most expensive.

There are a number of other silicones which are not specifically marketed for aquaria but are safe. A lot of "own brand" sealants in DIY chains are bulk commodity purchased and badged for sale, so each batch may come from a different manufacturer, and hence differ in composition. These are probably best avoided.

I have read the other posts..with no luck, that is why i asked this question

It needs to be high modulus silicon, not low modulus, which is generally used for sealing around bath tops, etc. Easily available from most aquatic outlets.

go to your diy place and look on the tube if it says it has fungacide in or any additives you carnt use it but if its the cheap stuf with no fungacide and that in its safe to use

cheers dane

GE Silicone I is safe for aquarium use, it used to state that on the tube up until several years ago. I've heard a few stories; they pulled that statement off of there after All-Glass started using their silicone for their tanks, and that they developed their Silicone II, which has an ammonia smell, after folks using the Silicone I were reporting cronic lung irritation after repeated long term exposure.

I've heard that the Ace Hardware 100% silicone is safe, as is the DAP 100% silicone, but I've never used either, the GE is close enough in price and readily available.

Most reactions

trending

Back