What kind of Platy

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Wills

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hi I've seen some Platies in an LFS and they were some of the best fish I've ever seen in person! Trying to set a tank up quick enough to get them but reckon they will be gone by the time I'm ready as there were only a few left when I saw them. They were labeled as Coral Red Platies but not sure that is 100% right.

They were a super bright coral red but it was a solid colour all over with no fading in the fins, they were definitely high fins and they had blue eyes - is there a specific name for what I've described or are they just a lucky combination of features on a Coral Red?

Wills

Probably longfin coral red platies.

There are coral red platies and they are readily available in most pet shops. So if the local store runs out, ask them to order more in.

Buy a group of 5 or 6 females and deworm them as soon as you get them. Then wait for the babies.

Real coral red platies should be dark red. If they are very bright red, they're just red platies.
Yes, even coral red platies come also in hifin variety.

Real coral red platies should be dark red. If they are very bright red, they're just red platies.
Yes, even coral red platies come also in hifin variety.
Thats cool I just wondered with the high fin and blue eyes if they had a specific name :) They were a deep red but really vibrant. Short term they would go in a 2 foot tank but long term I'd want them in the 4 foot I'm getting (eventually).

Wills

Thats cool I just wondered with the high fin and blue eyes if they had a specific name :) They were a deep red but really vibrant. Short term they would go in a 2 foot tank but long term I'd want them in the 4 foot I'm getting (eventually).

Wills
I do know that an old coral red platy strain from the DDR (former East-Germany), showed a glance of blue in the red fins and blue iridescent irises. This specific coral red strain from the DDR were also sold outside the DDR after the wall in Berlin came down.

Well, in that case, they'd be called blue eyed hifin coral red platies. Every hifin platy is called a hifin platy. Same goes for a hifin swordtail. Naming platies by their eye color will be: Black eyed, blue eyed or red eyed. And when we're dealing with red eyed fish, they could be albino (RREA → Real Red Eye Albino) or Lutino (WREA → Wine Red Eye Albino). Albino has got no melanophores in the eyes and Lutino does have a low density of melanophores which makes the eyes look like wine red.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back