what kind of plant?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Meg0000

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi I have 5 type of plant in my aquarium but there are two that I don't know the name so I would like some help to identify them.
Here is the picture :
20200212_195250.jpg

also has anyone tried roobios tea in their tank because I would like to try it for the black water look? What are the benefit of black water?

Last edited:
Blsackwater refers to the parameters. The GH is zero, as is the KH, and the pH will be somewhere in the range of 4 to 5 close to 6. The large amount of organic matter in this water, namely wood and dried leaves and other plant matter, is what causes these parameters (along with the absence of any mineralized rock) and the tannins from all these organics tint the water, hence the common term blackwater.

The benefits of blackwater...fish that naturally live in such parameters will obviously have a much easier and better life if kept in similar parameters. The bacterial properties of all of this decomposing organic matter is said to be beneficial (some fish exporters put leaves in the bags of fish), but this may be more a case of (harmful) bacteria not being able to live in such acidic water more than beneficial bacteria itself. If you can maintain a zero GH/KH and an acidic pH you will never have bacterial problems with the fish.

Blsackwater refers to the parameters. The GH is zero, as is the KH, and the pH will be somewhere in the range of 4 to 5 close to 6. The large amount of organic matter in this water, namely wood and dried leaves and other plant matter, is what causes these parameters (along with the absence of any mineralized rock) and the tannins from all these organics tint the water, hence the common term blackwater.

The benefits of blackwater...fish that naturally live in such parameters will obviously have a much easier and better life if kept in similar parameters. The bacterial properties of all of this decomposing organic matter is said to be beneficial (some fish exporters put leaves in the bags of fish), but this may be more a case of (harmful) bacteria not being able to live in such acidic water more than beneficial bacteria itself. If you can maintain a zero GH/KH and an acidic pH you will never have bacterial problems with the fish.
I actually researched online and there is different information about paradise fish living in blackwater or not. Also can it reduce stress and improve color because i noticed my paradise fish looked better when it was under floating plants and darker place. So I don't know if it would be benifical for my fish, could you someone tell me?

The long skinny plant on right looks like Bacopa. It is a marsh plant and regularly loses the lower leaves when grown under water.

Can't really see the other plants. provide more pics so we can see them without Bacopa covering it.

-----------------------
Blackwater is a term used for tannin stained water. Tannins are chemicals released by dead plant material soaking in water. Tannins cause the water to turn yellow, brown or black, depending on the level of tannins. A cup of tea has tannins from the tea leaves. Coffee has tannins from the coffee bean.

Blackwater can be hard water, soft water or even brackish (partly salty) water.

If people are talking about South America and the blackwaters of the Amazon, they are referring to the heavily stained waters of the Amazon River that have lots of tannins in and can look almost like a cup of coffee. This water has a pH below 7.0 and low GH (generally below 100ppm).

-----------------------
Most fish prefer to have some surface cover and a dark substrate and will generally show better colours in darker tanks. However, staining the water with tannins is not necessary for this or for keeping fish alive and well. Having a dark substrate (brown or black), floating plants, a picture on the back of the tank, appropriate water chemistry/ quality for the fish, and suitable companions will lead to fish showing their best colours.

The long skinny plant on right looks like Bacopa. It is a marsh plant and regularly loses the lower leaves when grown under water.

Can't really see the other plants. provide more pics so we can see them without Bacopa covering it.

-----------------------
Blackwater is a term used for tannin stained water. Tannins are chemicals released by dead plant material soaking in water. Tannins cause the water to turn yellow, brown or black, depending on the level of tannins. A cup of tea has tannins from the tea leaves. Coffee has tannins from the coffee bean.

Blackwater can be hard water, soft water or even brackish (partly salty) water.

If people are talking about South America and the blackwaters of the Amazon, they are referring to the heavily stained waters of the Amazon River that have lots of tannins in and can look almost like a cup of coffee. This water has a pH below 7.0 and low GH (generally below 100ppm).

-----------------------
Most fish prefer to have some surface cover and a dark substrate and will generally show better colours in darker tanks. However, staining the water with tannins is not necessary for this or for keeping fish alive and well. Having a dark substrate (brown or black), floating plants, a picture on the back of the tank, appropriate water chemistry/ quality for the fish, and suitable companions will lead to fish showing their best colours.
I have the three things you just mentionned floating plants, picture on the back and kind of dark substrate but I was just looking for another way to make it a little bit darker. My fish doesnt have any companion but I was planning on adding some ghost shrimp for my fish to hunt since he is very bored in his tank. people said I couldnt add fish with him but thats an whole other subject.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back