What Kind Of Lighting..suggestion Please

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Wow...and I thought I needed the liquid C02.. from what you say I most certainly do not.  I didn't know any of that.  I have never bought it before, but since my ludwigia was doing so bad I thought I needed something. But I felt hesitant to use  it.  Thank goodness for my hesitancy.     Always before I have used FloraPride and I guess that is what I will continue to use, as I sure don't think, the other sounds very healthy for the fish.

Thanks! 

julielynn47 said:
Wow...and I thought I needed the liquid C02.. from what you say I most certainly do not.  I didn't know any of that.  I have never bought it before, but since my ludwigia was doing so bad I thought I needed something. But I felt hesitant to use  it.  Thank goodness for my hesitancy.     Always before I have used FloraPride and I guess that is what I will continue to use, as I sure don't think, the other sounds very healthy for the fish.

Thanks! 

You're welcome.  Tetra FloraPride certainly won't hurt.  I am not sure of exactly what is in it (can't find the ingredients online, beyond iron and potassium...does it say on the label?) but iron and potassium are mentioned on the tetra website, and provided you don't overdose, these won't hurt much.  Iron is the one to be careful of, as it can cause algae, but unless you have iron in the tap water (rare, but possible, more likely with a well perhaps) you won't or shouldn't run into issues.

I have been thinking about what you, Byron, said about the liquid C02.  So I went and did a search for the ingredients, ( you know, do your research type of thing :) ) and what I found is pretty shocking to me.

I mean, I am not trying to tell anyone that they shouldn't use it, it is up to each individual, but you are right.   I may not have all this completely correct, but what I did find had me throw away the bottle I had bought.   The ingredient  " glutaraldehyde " --- " Glutaraldehyde is a toxic chemical that is used as a cold sterilant to disinfect and clean heat-sensitive medical, surgical and dental equipment" 

It may work really well to make plants grow, I will not argue that fact and a lot of people use it and it seems to do well for them.  But I just can't wrap my mind around how something that is a known toxic chemical... used to disinfect and clean medical, surgical and dental equipment... can be a good thing for fish and other water creatures.  Plants maybe, yeah, it seems to work, but fish?  I am not taking the chance. My stronger lights and new clear, not cloudy, glass top, arrives today. I will just use them along with the Flora Pride, and hope for the best.   

I don't know what else to use it for so to the trash can it goes.

julielynn47 said:
I have been thinking about what you, Byron, said about the liquid C02.  So I went and did a search for the ingredients, ( you know, do your research type of thing
smile.png
) and what I found is pretty shocking to me.

I mean, I am not trying to tell anyone that they shouldn't use it, it is up to each individual, but you are right.   I may not have all this completely correct, but what I did find had me throw away the bottle I had bought.   The ingredient  " glutaraldehyde " --- " Glutaraldehyde is a toxic chemical that is used as a cold sterilant to disinfect and clean heat-sensitive medical, surgical and dental equipment" 

It may work really well to make plants grow, I will not argue that fact and a lot of people use it and it seems to do well for them.  But I just can't wrap my mind around how something that is a known toxic chemical... used to disinfect and clean medical, surgical and dental equipment... can be a good thing for fish and other water creatures.  Plants maybe, yeah, it seems to work, but fish?  I am not taking the chance. My stronger lights and new clear, not cloudy, glass top, arrives today. I will just use them along with the Flora Pride, and hope for the best.   

I don't know what else to use it for so to the trash can it goes.

I think you are being wise.  When I first commented on this product a few months back, some members quickly challenged me and said they had been using this for some time and the fish were fine, etc.  I don't accept that one can make such illogical statements unless one is a biologist and dissects a fish to find out.  The blue citation in my signature speaks to this.  Every substance added to the water in an aquarium gets inside the fish; the aquatic environment has far greater impact on the physiology of fish than the terrestrial environment has on land animals breathing air.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back