What kind of fish to start with?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kelbel

Reaction score
I am completely new to this and I have just set up my first 10 gal freshwater tank. I have tested the water, and let the filter and the heater run for a few days. Everything seems ready to go! I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what kind, and how many fish to buy? I am considering maybe 6-8 cherry barbs, and a few corys. Any advice is much needed and much appriciated!

Thanks~Kelbel

To start with i would suggest placing just 2 very hardy fish such as zebra danios or a goldfish in the tank,as it takes a while for the bacteria in your filter to mature.This process is known as cycling and can take 6 weeks or more,first the fish will foul the water causing a build up of ammonia then bacteria in the filter will convert this to nitrite and then to safe nitrate which you remove with weekly water changes.If you add too many fish too early the build up of ammonia will be too much for your growing bacteria colony to cope with and the fish will die.
Your choice of fish is fine for the size tank you have once it has finished cycling :)

Do yourself a favour scrap your 10 gallon tank now and get yourself a much larger one aleast 30 gallon. I started with a small 10 gallon tank with in months it was full and there was still loads of fish that I wanted now I've got a 50 gallon and I'm in the process of building a 6'x2'x2' monster. I think I'm hooked :D

Aha - another sufferer of MTS (multiple tank syndrome) :)

I have just got a 160l as I couldn't get anything more in the 73l one .....

Unfortunately I think it's going to be the lot for my flat at the moment, unless I throw out the sofa, coffee table, etc :D

Eddie

You can cycle the tank initially without fish, I've done it many times without any probs.

First of all, from your post I'd guess you have the test kits needed - Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and pH are the key ones. You can buy a kit with all these in (most manufacturers make them) and upon setting up (which you already have) try adding some aquarium water from a friends tank or from a shop (most will oblige) and leave the tank running for 1-2 weeks. Then start testing the water every 2-3 days until your readings are as follows;

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0,3

Nitrate 0

pH All depends upon area, but for most trops you're looking at between 6.5 and 7.5

If you can't get hold of tankwater then add a very small amount of fishfood (a couple of flakes or so) to the water after 5 days of setting up, ensuring that it sinks.

Once tank has cycled (as cfc said, can take up to 6 weeks, but usually 2 weeks or so) then, as suggested, add 2-3 small (1"), hardy fish and keep testing the water every 3-4 days or so to ensure filtration is working as it should.

To build up stock; Add 2-3 small (1") fish every two weeks or so until tank is stocked.

Ideal starter fish; As cfc stated, Zebra Danios are ideal, as are your Cherry Barbs. Golden Barbs, Red Eye/Buenos Aries/Black Widow Tetras are also good. Corys introduce last - Ideal first Corys are Bronze, Peppered and Albino (forms of bronze usually). These are toughest.

The key thing to remember - Don't rush things. Take your time and enjoy the experience! Good luck :)

echo-ing the zebra danio thing.
your tank needs about 6 weeks to cycle, and buying any fish that aren't really hardy is a waste of time cuz they'll probably just die on you.
zebra danio's are really hardy.. couldn't kill em if u tried kinda fish that you can keep while your tank cycles..... :)
they'd be best to buy first off, then you can add fish every few weeks... after the initial 6 weeks :alien:

I've found that fancy guppies are great for beginners, but they tend to multiply like rabbits in spring. My first thank I started with 4 guppies( 2 male 2 female) and finally ended up with around two 20 gallon tanks filled to the top with fancy guppies. It got to the point I got another tank with a Large adult Jack Dipsey and used the guppies as a feeder fish. Then I moved and sold the tanks and the lot of them. Now i have guppies still but i sell them to keep the numbers down.

Peace, DPS

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back