What Kind Of Fish Are These?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Foxxi

Reaction score
Hello you all,

Just the other day I bought a tank off somebody who was moving. I've only ever had goldfish before, but wanted to progress to keeping other fish. Anyway, I have NO idea what any of these fish are. If any of you know, it'd be great if you could tell me :)

The pictures should be attached to this message if I did this right...

http://picpaste.com/whitefish.JPG
There is the first fish...he's a long, white, snake-like fish. Creepy...lol

http://picpaste.com/stripey.JPG
This fish is in the middle of the picture. He's a pale color with stripes along his sides and tail.

http://picpaste.com/schoolone.JPG
Here's the first "school" of fish in the tank. Are they angelfish? They seem to be a different shape than angelfish, but I'm not sure...

http://picpaste.com/schooltwo.JPG
Here's the second school of fish. They are pretty orange fish with black stripes and speckles, mainly along the top half of their bodies.

http://picpaste.com/yellowfish.JPG
And the last picture is of the two little yellow fish I have. I thought they might be a yellow cichlid, but the pictures of the cichlid's look different than these fish. These fish have tiny little fins on top of their bodies rather than long fins that the cichlids I saw had. They are very fast swimming and hard to get a pic of lol

I also have two really fat suckerfish (I think they are), though they kinda look like catfish because they have little whiskers. They are behind a rock now so I couldn't get a picture of them...maybe later.
So far these fish seem to be doing great, and I'm pretty sure I have the temperature and everything set right for them. If anybody has any pointers for me as to how to take care of these fish, that would be greatly appreciated as well. Feel free to pm me.
Thanks!

1. A colour morph of Kuhli Loach. Possibly albino.
2. Zebra Danio.
3. Black Widow Tetra's.
4. I think They are Golden barbs.
5. Not sure...

Kuhli Loach - I would up the number to about 3 if I was you.
Zebra Danio - Definitely up the numbers to about 6.
Black Widow Tetra's - How many are there now? Once again, try to up the numbers to 6 though they can get quite nippy so just watch them.
Golden Barbs - If the are Golden Barbs, I'd once again up the numbers to about 6 though these are very peaceful so they should be OK.

First pic looks like a dojo loach, then a zebra danio, then black widow tetras, not sure abou thte fourth, and i bet the 5th is a glofish

hi il ask now as someone else will in a second lol what size tank isit what water temperatue do you have it at and did u keep the excisting water and filter media or did u start fresh, also how long have you had the tank set up.

not to sure on the fish as i ruff quess i would say
1st looks like some sort of loach
2nd looks abit like a zebra danio
3rd definatly isnt angel fish
4 dont no
and 5 im pretty sure its definatlt not a cichlid but someone will give you better help :D

wow i must be a really slow typer as there was no comments when i started lol haha

Wow, thanks for the quick reply you all!

After looking up those fish, you all are very correct about the kinds of fish they are. Thanks so much! I'm going to start reading up on all of them.

Paradise, why would you recommend getting more of those kinds of fish? Are they happier in groups? Also, I have 4 Black Widow Tetras and 4 Golden Barbs, along with 8 other fish. Would that be too many fish for the 55 gallon tank?

I'm curious as to what kind of loach that one fish is :)
Annnnd, I'm positive the yellow fish are glofish after looking them up. They do glow, by the way. ^_^

Phelpsy, I will have to get back to you on those questions as soon as I figure it out myself! lol

Number 4 are definitely Golden Barbs, one of my favourite tropical fish. I've had had them in my tank for a few years & to be honest they don't seem to shoal. They are very peaceful apart from with my snails, always pecking at them!

After looking up those fish, you all are very correct about the kinds of fish they are. Thanks so much! I'm going to start reading up on all of them.

Paradise, why would you recommend getting more of those kinds of fish? Are they happier in groups? Also, I have 4 Black Widow Tetras and 4 Golden Barbs, along with 8 other fish. Would that be too many fish for the 55 gallon tank?

Annnnd, I'm positive the yellow fish are glofish after looking them up. They do glow, by the way. ^_^

Phelpsy, the tank is a 55 gallon, and I kept everything the person gave me for the tank, except that I bought another filter for it. I think that the filter isn't big enough for the tank, so I may replace it within a day if it doesn't end up clearing the tank a little more. Also, the temperature is at about 74 right now. :3

Phelpsy, I will have to get back to you on those questions as soon as I figure it out myself! lol

The fish I mentioned upping the numbers of are a lot happier in groups and will be less nippy. I'm pretty sure the first fish is a Albino or Leucistic Kuhli Loach...

The first fish is a golden dojo or weather loach. The fourth are gold barbs. The last are glo fish, which are zebra danios with jellyfish dna that make them glow. All the fish you have are more comfortable in groups of 6+, 10 being better. Except the dojo, they all stay small and your 55 will easily accommodate them.

Okay, great! I will definitely look into getting some more of the tetras, golden barbs, and possibly another loach or two soon. I just want to make sure that I don't overcrowd the tank.

After looking up a gold dojo loach, that one fish I have resembles it greatly...however, I think my fish is quite a bit paler than the gold loach...

1. A colour morph of Kuhli Loach. Possibly albino.
2. Zebra Danio.
3. Black Widow Tetra's.
4. I think They are Golden barbs.
5. Not sure...

Kuhli Loach - I would up the number to about 3 if I was you.
Zebra Danio - Definitely up the numbers to about 6.
Black Widow Tetra's - How many are there now? Once again, try to up the numbers to 6 though they can get quite nippy so just watch them.
Golden Barbs - If the are Golden Barbs, I'd once again up the numbers to about 6 though these are very peaceful so they should be OK.

I make you right mate but think
no1 is Golden weather loach and
no5 maybe golden zebra danio ?

Okay, great! I will definitely look into getting some more of the tetras, golden barbs, and possibly another loach or two soon. I just want to make sure that I don't overcrowd the tank.

After looking up a gold dojo loach, that one fish I have resembles it greatly...however, I think my fish is quite a bit paler than the gold loach...

Prob just different shade can vary from off white to bright yellow :good:

The fish I mentioned upping the numbers of are a lot happier in groups and will be less nippy. I'm pretty sure the first fish is a Albino or Leucistic Kuhli Loach...
it's not. It's a dojo loach. They're like khuli loaches, only they get gigantic.

http://picpaste.com/whitefish.JPG
There is the first fish...he's a long, white, snake-like fish. Creepy...lol

100% Certain This is a Dojo/Weather Loach. Don't up their numbers, keep it alone, they don't mind, but khuli loaches do. Dojo loache get gigantic, so you wouldn't have enough room for a lot of them even if they did prefer company.

http://picpaste.com/stripey.JPG
This fish is in the middle of the picture. He's a pale color with stripes along his sides and tail.

Zebra Danio, Looks almost like a longfinned variety. Keep at least 6.

http://picpaste.com/schoolone.JPG
Here's the first "school" of fish in the tank. Are they angelfish? They seem to be a different shape than angelfish, but I'm not sure...

Black Skirt/Black Widow Tetra

http://picpaste.com/schooltwo.JPG
Here's the second school of fish. They are pretty orange fish with black stripes and speckles, mainly along the top half of their bodies.

The fatness makes it look like a livebearer for sorts, it may be a barb, but this guys got my stumped.

http://picpaste.com/yellowfish.JPG
And the last picture is of the two little yellow fish I have. I thought they might be a yellow cichlid, but the pictures of the cichlid's look different than these fish. These fish have tiny little fins on top of their bodies rather than long fins that the cichlids I saw had. They are very fast swimming and hard to get a pic of lol

Look like glofish to me, which are basically dyed zebra danios. They should school with the other zebra danios if you get them, but I personally find the idea of glofish to be a bit dumb and cruel. How they come about is the eggs of zebra danios themselves are dyed different fancy colors, and then they give the fish a copywrite and sell them for outrageous prices like they're the next big thing.

Most reactions

trending

Back