What Kind of Betta is This???

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

RomiKitten

Reaction score
20191013_214429.jpg

Hello!

My daughter and I picked up this gorgeous boy at our LFS today, and they claimed he's a black orchid betta (she named him Frankenstein, if you're curious). I was under the impression, however, that black orchids are all crown tails, and mostly black.

This picture was when we were acclimating him in the cup. He has two or three different, and apparently random, shades of blue, as well as some black. His fins look like a half moon to me, as far as shape, and are almost entirely black, with one or two turquoise stripes through them.

I tried to get more pictures once we released him into the tank, but he's (understandably) hiding in his silk plants.

He's a very unusual looking little guy, and I'm curious if anyone can tell me what "type" he really is?

He is very beautiful!
Personally, I donā€™t know if you can classify him any further than tail type. I have a black orchid, or was at least sold that way and is indeed a black crowntail.
If you know Frankensteinā€™s tail type, Iā€™d go with that. Iā€™m not sure about his scales as Iā€™m not good with determining dragon vs normal scale, but Iā€™m leaning towards normal.
Keep an eye out for any change in his color or fins, bettas can appear paler when stressed so sometimes their colors change when they are introduced to a new environment.
For right now, Iā€™d call him a blue half moon.
Hope this helps :) That fish is absolutely gorgeous!

He looks as though he may have the marbling gene in him. If so, his color will change and could already be doing so. He is stunning.

Thank you! He really is beautiful! The pictures on my phone do not do him justice at all.

It seems to me like any betta with some black on him will be sold as a "black orchid," because then they can charge more . He's definitely the most expensive betta I've ever gotten, but I think he was worth it. Black orchid or no, he's about the coolest looking guy I've ever seen.

I'm obviously not great at determining whether he's a dragon or metallic or what have you, either, haha. He's very marbled (almost looks pixelated, doesn't he?), but that could change now that he'll have good food and clean water and lots of space. I can't wait to see how he'll change, if he does.

Half moon will have to be good enough, I suppose .

He looks as though he may have the marbling gene in him. If so, his color will change and could already be doing so. He is stunning.

Yes, he's marbled! I have had a red and black marbled female for a couple of years, and she's slowly turned solid red with black fins. You wouldn't believe it's tha same fish!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back