What Kind Of Betta Is My Betta?

DreyOfAud

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm not sure what kind of Betta I have. Could anyone help shed some light? Also- what kind of female would be a good mate? Thanks!

Ichi.jpg

Ichi2.jpg

Double ray crowntail, I'd probably call the colour cambodian butterfly. If you can get a crowntail female that would be ideal - what colour fry would you be after?

Crowntail!!!

Beautiful colours he has too. :drool: :hyper: :drool:

Yep crown tail a crown tail female will create crown tail fry if your planning on breeding take a look at Netty/Bronze's website there's lots of good information on there. I would go for a turq female with good quality rays as red is def dominant and your babies will look like him in all likelyhood he is very pretty.

A crown tail eh? I'm not sure what I want the fry to look like.. I guess I just want them to be as special as possible. :]

A crown tail eh? I'm not sure what I want the fry to look like.. I guess I just want them to be as special as possible. :]

Well you need to really look into breeding thoroughly I have my first spawn right now and Im overwhelmed first one has turned out to be a big success with approx 40 babies thats 40 tanks! on top of my 4 adults! You need to think who will buy your fry what happens if no private buyers are interested will your LFS take them?

haha I have no idea. The more I read up on this, the harder it seems like it will be. I don't even have enough money for all the equipment yet! When I go looking for the female, I'll inquire with the store if they'd like my babies. After how many months can they be sold? Like 5 or something? Man is my room gonna be a mess!! I'm sure I'll wanna keep a few of them also.

How do you feed your fry after they get a little larger? On the one site that someone else gave me (Betta Paradise) it says to build a brine shrimp hatchery. Is there an easier way?

btw when I checked up on Ichi this morning, his bubblenest has doubled in size! He's been a busy little bee.

LOL, you'll probably end up keeping a lot more :D

Its not really that hard, more frustrating really :/ As long as you plan in advance and get everything ready you should be able to deal with the little problems that arise.

Other than feeding baby brine shrimp, you can use finely crushed Betta Starter, which is a powder. You may find that their growth may be slower though.

You would be looking at getting the first ones big enough to move on at anywhere from 4 months onwards :good:

Also for the first week or so you can feed Vinegar Eel or Microworm. Most of these cultures you can buy on ebay.

My LFS will indeed buy them. I couldn't find a good female though. I'm not sure what a crowntail female looks like. Would a female look really similar to a male? How can you tell the difference? Everyone in the local stores is very ignorant about it. They have no idea.

This is a CT female that we used to have. They come in as many colours as the males do.

CT_207.jpg

hm.. so CT females don't have long fins at all? They almost had me buy a male then.. they also have a large selection of cups with fish labeled "female Betta" on them. I have no idea what kinds of females these are, and either do they. Where should I get a CT female if I can't find one in any stores near me?

hm.. so CT females don't have long fins at all? They almost had me buy a male then.. they also have a large selection of cups with fish labeled "female Betta" on them. I have no idea what kinds of females these are, and either do they. Where should I get a CT female if I can't find one in any stores near me?

Best bet is a private breeder or an import that way you'll know she's high quality! where do you live?

Most reactions

trending

Back