what kind of algae is this?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cutechic

Sol
Reaction score
i have two tanks- one with live plants, and one without. the tank with live plant has a pH of 6.4 ppm, and the tank without plants has a pH of 7.2 ppm. both tanks have an ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate reading of 0 ppm and a kH and gK reading af around 3 degrees.

in the tank with plants, there is a 10 w light that is on for 12 hours a day, and the tank without plants doesnt have any fish in it currently, so the light is never on, although both tanks get indirect sunlight.

in both tanks i have malaysian driftwood, which is where the algae is growing. the algea looks like mold and is a cloudy greenish-brown color, and when i siphon it off it grows back within a day or two.

my question is: what kind of algae is this, and what can i do to get rid of it and prevent it from coming back? i think it is killing the anubias that is attatched to the driftwood in one of my tanks.

Blue-green algae/Cyanobacteria

"Blue-green algae" is not really a true algae at all, but Cyanobacteria - a group of bacteria capable of photosynthesis. It can appear as a slimy coating in a number of different colours, including a cloudy greenish-brown color. It can smother plants and may release toxins harmful to fish, no fish will eat it.

It can fix nitrogen and may therefore occur in tanks with zero or very low nitrates (but possibly high levels of other nutrients, particularly phosphate). It can be removed manually quite easily, as it often forms loose sheets, but it's likely to return quickly. Improving circulation/aeration in the tank sometimes causes it to decline. It can be treated with erythromycin (200mg/10 gallons) - this may however affect the filter bacteria, so it will be necessary to check for ammonia and nitrite after dosing.

D.

thanks d :) so is it safe for the plants to remove the algae and then add an airstone to prevent it from coming back, or would the airstone create too much circulation or something?

If you don't have a heavily planted tank, I'd go with the aeration and use the anti-biotic stage as a last resort.

Sometimes it dissapears as quickly as it appears.

I would, however, recommed removing it with a small spot syphon, using a spare piece of air-tubing.

D.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back