What is your favorite substrate for planted tanks?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

MammaBearinTN

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Do you layer your substrate using more than one medium?

After killing 11 ember tetras due to a gas pocket in my sand, and the fact that my plants won't stay planted, I'm considering redoing the tank.

Hey there,
Depends on fishes but my favorite are :
- Sand of Loire
- Sansibar JBL©
- Little granulometry gravels (goldfish)

JBL Sansibar sand for me, i do move the sand whenever i clean the tank though, sometimes 'rake' it with a fork if i feel generous. I also have clown loaches though, they move the sand all the time so didn't have any pockets just yet.

I did have an actual soil in the past, fine gravel on top. My clowns digged that up, clogged up the filter and turned the tank into a mud puddle :/

When we have fish in the tank (as opposed to an aquatic plant tank) the substrate needs to be suited to the fish, as some species have specific needs. And knowing cories are included here (from the other thread) you need soft sand.

What plant species will not remain rooted? Cories obviously burrow through the sand, and plants can be pulled up (initially anyway), but there are ways to get around this.

As for anaerobic areas, these are natural and part of a healthy substrate, but we cannot disturb them. Areas under large chunks of wood or rock for example. The depth of the sand was asked for in the other thread but no measurement given.

Clown loaches are very good excavator :lol:
don't even get me started on them, they are lucky I absolutely love them and their bigger custom tank is being made, I was so angry when they did that! They are all (I have 3 of them) 1.5-2 inches long so still babies and they do play like kittens wrecking everything on their way. I had to completely drain 150L of water and remove all fish, shrimps, plants and decor, took me 6 hours to re-do it. I am absolutely certain I do not wish to have any soil in my tank ever again. I'd rather re-plant whatever they dig up daily, without having to clean it all 😂

When we have fish in the tank (as opposed to an aquatic plant tank) the substrate needs to be suited to the fish, as some species have specific needs. And knowing cories are included here (from the other thread) you need soft sand.

What plant species will not remain rooted? Cories obviously burrow through the sand, and plants can be pulled up (initially anyway), but there are ways to get around this.

As for anaerobic areas, these are natural and part of a healthy substrate, but we cannot disturb them. Areas under large chunks of wood or rock for example. The depth of the sand was asked for in the other thread but no measurement given.
I replied later that the sand was 1 to 3 inches. My 3 amazon swords won't stay planted in shallow sand. Ditto Ludwigia. I got rid of it. The monto carlo moves around the bottom of the tank like tumbleweed in the Texas desert. I realize the monte carlo would have had a better chance if I hadn't divided the plant.

I replied later that the sand was 1 to 3 inches. My 3 amazon swords won't stay planted in shallow sand. Ditto Ludwigia. I got rid of it. The monto carlo moves around the bottom of the tank like tumbleweed in the Texas desert. I realize the monte carlo would have had a better chance if I hadn't divided the plant.
idea - plant it in sand, make the roots flat before you cover them with sand. Pop some bigger pebbles on top. The plant should anchor itself and then after a few weeks remove the rocks/pebbles :)

@Dephea
My Dad got a 600 L Neolamprologus tank whose beach changed shape evry single day and I don't even mean shells 🤪😂

The answer is in post #11 from @Dephea .

My Dad was already a baldman before he got this tank.... ... otherwise he would have teared his hair out !!

Most reactions

trending

Back