What Is Your Best/preferred White Spot Treatment?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

What is your best/preferred White Spot Treatment?

• Just heat

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Heat + Salt

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Heat + medication

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Just medication

Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters

Clarousel

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I thought I'd just ask since there's so many opinions on ich treatment on the internet!

My platy has white spot again although I had the heat on for 10 days. Maybe it wasn't enough? I'm considering using meds this time round but I'm very hesitant! Therefore I'd like to know what you guys think about ich treatments :)

I don't think we have that here, I've never seen it before :/ I'm gonna try what I have now (a local brand) and see if it helps! How long do you carry out your heat + meds regime for?

I use simple salt at about 5 grams per litre and at least 80F, 27C, until 4 days after the last sign of ich in the tank. I have never seen a relapse since I started using this approach. This should work great on a platy since they like their water fairly high in minerals anyway.

I tried that method on my cichlid tank, but it didn't work :( But i think the stressor in the tank was allowing the ich to take a firm hold. The stressor has since gone back to the LFS and with heat, salt and medication i am seeing improvement now :)

I use simple salt at about 5 grams per litre and at least 80F, 27C, until 4 days after the last sign of ich in the tank. I have never seen a relapse since I started using this approach. This should work great on a platy since they like their water fairly high in minerals anyway.

I tried the heat, 31C, with 1 tbsp of salt. I'm not sure if it worked but the ich is back now so I suppose it was never gone actually... Or maybe it was too little salt :X

Gonna try meds + heat for a week and see how it goes!

I merely raise my temperature to around 31.5 deg C and keep it there for around 3 days..... I then gradually lower the temp to standard (26/7) and have always... (for 40 years) had 100% success with this method..... Ich has never been a problem disease for me.....

some of my play's had ich a few days ago (2/3 spots) added Waterlife Protozin and they are all clear of spots now.
Just remember big waterchanges in between doses and a good gravel/sand vac! as thats where the eggs settle. Raising the temp speeds up the life cycle of the parasite. So the process progresses quicker.

Interpet Whitespot treatment and whack the temperature up to as close to 30c as you heater will allow.

worked a charm for me.

I've had to deal with ich only once in the last 20 years, and couldn't use salt as I had cories and rams in the tank at the time. I used eSHa exit and it worked very well for me.

I had ich come in with two mail order dwarf cichlids....I raised the temp to 85 degrees F at a rate of about 1 degree per hour, and added aquarium salt at a dose of around 1.25 - 1.5 Tablespoons per 5 gallons and kept it there for 6-7 days. The ich symptoms were gone after about 2 days, but I left it as is for the additional 5 days to make sure it was all gone. Then I did a 25% water change once a day for a week to gradually reduce the salanity, and slowly dropped the temp back to normal by a degree every 2 hours. I did add 3 airstones running wide open to add O2 due to the higher temps, and everyone did fine....except the two fish who had ich...the <not so nice word> guy who sold them shipped them with ich...the stress of shipment, ich, and treatment was too much...they were in bad shape when I got them.

I have the following fish in this tank, and they all did well. I'd check your particular stock's salt tolerance levels before going this route:

2 Clown Plecos
2 Apistogramma Agassazi (the ones who had ich)
2 Apistogramma Rotpunkt
2 Kribensis
14-16 Zebra Danios
6 otos
Blue Mystery Snail
Malaysian Trumpet Snails
Ghost and Amano shrimp
Various live plants
(75 US Gallon Tank)

I have 2 external canister filters running on the tank, and only had mechanical and biological filter media.

I have since received 2 BEAUTIFUL replacement Apistogramma Agassizzi.

Just curious how long you have had tanks? I've been using this same method for a very very long time and it always works for me. I call it an old school method since this is the way I was taught by my uncle when I was about seven years old.

Well i use water life protozien

My fish had white spot i done a one lot insted of the full cause as i ran out and didnt have any money for more and i left my fish cause i didnt think i cld do anything else and they recovered their selfs but i do like water life protozien white spot and fungus an i like interpet anti fungle n white spot :)

Just heat has always worked for me, but not just heat to be rid of it, keeping fish (not my current setup) at their upper range tends to inhibit its activity. I've never had whitespot in any of my 'normal' tropical tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back