What is wrong with this fish and how can i make it better?

Icculus

Reaction score
Hi, I have a black and white molly here, seems to be severely bloated and is either excreting something or something is growing on the underside of its belly. I am not very experienced so if anyone could help let me know as i feel it is on its way out. What causes, what is happening and how (if) i am able to stop it or not. What steps could i take to ensure that the fish may get better. Any advise is greatly appreciated ASAP. Many Thanks

icon_e_geek.gif

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Auontb9_KJTsiydkRpqXW3zXLwLg

Possibly a pregnancy gone wrong? It looks infected which means most likely bacterial. If your water parameters are stable and your water is hard (which it should be for mollies) then I suspect it was introduced into the tank by any recent additions.

First make sure your amm, nitrite, nitrate are good, then make sure your gh,kh and pH are good for the fish you have, like I said mollies like harder water. If you don't know these measurements have your water tested at a local fish store. You should also do a 50% water change just to be safe and then start treating the water with antibacterial, if you can qt the sick fish that would be best, if not then Take out any activated carbon and treat the main tank.

Like I said she looks pregnant but based on the puss looking stuff it's infected so something like melafix or erythromycin for treatment would probably target whatever it is.

It would also be helpful to know what is in your tank and how long it has been in there respective to the order you added everything.

"Possibly a pregnancy gone wrong? It looks infected which means most likely bacterial. If your water parameters are stable and your water is hard (which it should be for mollies) then I suspect it was introduced into the tank by any recent additions."

Seems really unusual for that particular fish to be pregnant which is why it didn't come to mind first. I've never seen any of the males bother at all in the slightest but i guess it doesn't take much and always a possibility. As for recent additions do you mean new additions to the tank which could change bacterial levels in the water such as new toys and plants if so then there has been no new additions to the tank for months.

"First make sure your amm, nitrite, nitrate are good, then make sure your gh,kh and pH are good for the fish you have, like I said mollies like harder water. If you don't know these measurements have your water tested at a local fish store. You should also do a 50% water change just to be safe and then start treating the water with antibacterial, if you can qt the sick fish that would be best, if not then Take out any activated carbon and treat the main tank."

I did a 50% water change not that long ago. Would you suggest that first of all i quarantine the infected fish first of all then say purchase a water testing kit to test the water and then also purchase the antibacterial you mentioned.

"It would also be helpful to know what is in your tank and how long it has been in there respective to the order you added everything?"

Theres a few resin tank decorations like i said nothing new has been added for a long time. No real plants or anything. There are many other mollies in the tank at the moment not displaying any signs of the same type of infection, illnesses or altered behaviours.

Your speedy reply was very much appreciated Thank You

Seems really unusual for that particular fish to be pregnant which is why it didn't come to mind first. I've never seen any of the males bother at all in the slightest

Livebearers can hold enough sperm for 6 pregnancies

What he said. ^

Also, yes if you can qt now then I recommend it. Whether you get a test kit or not isn't the important part, the important part right now is just to test the water, whether you buy your own and do it or take some to your LFS to have them do it. I suspect you will be at or around 0 for all of these as your tank is probably cycled fine and no new changes have occurred, this is why I think you should focus on treating the infected individual with some meds asap.
This is simply to rule out all variables as soon as possible and then focus on the causes after everything has been taken care of.

Hope this helps.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back