What Is Wrong With My Fish?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

sarahr2013

Reaction score
What is wrong with my fish?
ive lost 3 fish over the last 3 days (and lost the one in the photo over night had vanished) the water quality has been tested and is fine the last two fish that have died have lost the colouring in there tails i thought it could have been fin rot so ive treated the water today for that but now i have noticed te white on this fish but cant tell if its its colouring or white spot? if it is white spot can i treat the water for that if i have just treated it for fin rot or will i have to wait???

will my fry be ok? they seem fine

i do weekly water changes of 25% 
my tank is a aqua one horizon which is 3ft long
i have live plants in the tank and some snails and bog wood 
i have all guppies except 1 killi fish and 1 bristlenose plec and a few snails

sorry for the essay as im new to this 

Thanks in advance!!

How long has the tank  been set up, Sarah?

What were the actual numbers from the tests?

fluttermoth said:
How long has the tank  been set up, Sarah?

What were the actual numbers from the tests?
Tanks been up about a month and i dont have any numbers as i got it tested at pets at home as im waiting for my new testing kit to arrive. thanks for your reply :)

How did you set it up, in terms of growing bacteria in your filter? Was it the usual thing of letting the filter and heater run with just water for a few days, then add fish?

Because, although P@H have told you the tests were fine, it sounds an awful lot like ammonia poisoning from an immature filter. Unless you added Household Ammonia to the water for a few weeks before the fish?

Without actual test results (if you get the shop to test it for you again, get them to write the numbers down for you), it's hard to be certain, but it sounds like the problems you get in uncycled tanks (ie, one's where you don't have a colony of good bacteria living in the filter).

In the meantime, big water changes (and by big, I mean at least 75 or 80%) are your best bet, unless the fish show symptoms of a definite disease.

You certainly shouldn't mix medications. Whitespot is very distinctive; the fish will look as if they're covered with grains of salt. The spots are very white, raised and not at all fluffy.

the_lock_man said:
How did you set it up, in terms of growing bacteria in your filter? Was it the usual thing of letting the filter and heater run with just water for a few days, then add fish?

Because, although P@H have told you the tests were fine, it sounds an awful lot like ammonia poisoning from an immature filter. Unless you added Household Ammonia to the water for a few weeks before the fish?
it was an old filter that was still in use in another tank i thought that would be ok after the tests where fine but this must be why :( what do you suggest i do now please

Thanks for your help

Nothing wrong with your logic, assuming the old filter was in a tank with fish in it! I would say following FM's advice of large water changes is a good place to start, until you can get some actual numbers from a test (either your own or from P@H).

I will do a big water change now thank you very much to both of you! greatly appreciated! 

I would continue to do water changes daily, until you can confirm what your ammonia and nitrite levels are.

Good luck!

welcomeani.gif
 to TFF, Sarah! There's nothing different I can add to TLM and FM's comments - good luck with the water changes and hope it sorts your problems!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back