What is this?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

JayLB

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Is this algae? And if so, what do I do to get rid of it.

Parameters in both tanks are perfect.
Temp around 80
Ph is 7

The tank with the white gravel and “brown stuff” on it, is a 20g with a single betta.

The other tank is a 20g with 2 gourami, 7 danio and 4 guppies. With a plethora of bladder snails and 2 assassin snails. This tank has stuff on the leaves of the live plants.

Attachments

• 905F3DF7-B0A0-42F9-86DB-5CB29EAFE45B.jpeg
    905F3DF7-B0A0-42F9-86DB-5CB29EAFE45B.jpeg
    422.6 KB · Views: 63
  • D9218177-DF0E-4A88-AD2D-860CFD7F1E0B.jpeg
    D9218177-DF0E-4A88-AD2D-860CFD7F1E0B.jpeg
    293.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 9B02FEFE-D678-4122-9B2B-6CAFA1745C3E.jpeg
    9B02FEFE-D678-4122-9B2B-6CAFA1745C3E.jpeg
    270.8 KB · Views: 59
Don't worry about the community tank.
The betta tank? Just clean it the best you can, changing water regularly and take care not to overfeed. TBH white gravel is not good because it shows up the dirt and algae, and more importantly because any white surface stresses the fish due to the unnatural glare.

The betta tank? Just clean it the best you can, changing water regularly and take care not to overfeed. TBH white gravel is not good because it shows up the dirt and algae, and more importantly because any white surface stresses the fish due to the unnatural glare.
If I change out my gravel will my cycle get ruined?

As stated, those are the sorae, basically packets of reproductive material on germs. Normal and healthy.

Just like a white carpet, dirt magnet and high maintenance.

Possibly not. You say your test results are perfect (we need numbers) indicating the filter is well cycled. If that is the case a substrate change may just cause a blip for a short time. If so, a few days of testing and a couple of extra water changes would see you through.

Possibly not. You say your test results are perfect (we need numbers) indicating the filter is well cycled. If that is the case a substrate change may just cause a blip for a short time. If so, a few days of testing and a couple of extra water changes would see you through.
So my Ph is 7. Ammonia 0. Nitrite 0. Nitrate 0. Testing every 3-4 days.

Assuming this to refer to the white gravel betta tank, no it will not have any detriment to change the substrate. Move the betta to a temporary "tank" and remove all the gravel and then add rinsed sand or gravel. Do not rinse the filter, keep it running (in with the betta in the "temp" tank) and do not wash the plants. A single betta will not have any issues from "cycling" doing this.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back