What is This?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I don't use sponges of any kind, so not sure...just peek inside your filter(s) occasionally for any hoovered shrimplets
It's this...

1631803064327.png

Congratulations! I love shrimplets!

I use the same sponge. It is perfectly safe for the little guys. Do not clean it when they are babies because they may be in there looking for food. I tend not to touch the sponge unless the filter flow slows down, and then you can just put it in a bucket of tank water and gently shake it before trying to squeeze. Keep an eye out for itty-bitty shrimp swimming away and just net them in put back in the tank.

This one is doing the same leg fluttering. I don't see eggs, but it is quite inflated.
20210916_135704.jpg

I think she's still saddled (eggs on back seen as yellow colour) but she'll move them to her abdomen soon.
BTW, when you do tank maintenance, use a white bucket/ bowl to check for babies. You can shine a torch in to see them easier too.

I think she's still saddled (eggs on back seen as yellow colour) but she'll move them to her abdomen soon.
BTW, when you do tank maintenance, use a white bucket/ bowl to check for babies. You can shine a torch in to see them easier too.
Oh, I thought I just got a poorly colored one 😆

20210916_142159.jpg

On this particular tank, the filter pumps water to a spigot of sorts that then falls on a floss and out. You can extend and rotate the spigot out of the tank to a bucket beside. So any water drained this way is brought in through the prefilter sponge. Should be a safe way to WC until they are bigger (I hope!).

Oh, I thought I just got a poorly colored one 😆

View attachment 143511
Ah, now that shot does show discolouration. If it were saddled the colour wouldn't go all way across the head and down the tail. I think this is a symptom of a parasitic shrimp disease, hopefully someone will be able to clarify.

So it will be live young and not eggs? Coloring should be interesting, I have a skittle bag of shrimp in there!

Indeed tiny perfect little shrimpletts!

as for color….
If shrimps of different color breed they usually have “not so pretty babies”…they revert back to their wild brownish color.
if you want pretty shrimpletts, stick to one color.

They fan their eggs to oxygenate them.

Live young, soon...
Yes 👆🏼I forgot to answer that but someone did!
Forgot to mention that - I have net over the intake slits of the internal filter in my shrimp tank. Tights/pantyhose work just as well but look a bit unsightly.
I use a small square filter that I cut a hole in because most filter intake sponges and or netting are too big for my tiny tank. So I custom cut ones and they’re a dream and the babies looooooove hanging out on ….and in them. So be careful

Ah, now that shot does show discolouration. If it were saddled the colour wouldn't go all way across the head and down the tail. I think this is a symptom of a parasitic shrimp disease, hopefully someone will be able to clarify.
Can shrimp be treated for bacterial infections? Seems most treatments state that they are not safe for inverts 🤷‍♂️

as for color….
If shrimps of different color breed they usually have “not so pretty babies”…they revert back to their wild brownish color.
if you want pretty shrimpletts, stick to one color.

Shame. It'd be cool if the blue velvet could breed with the snowballs and make a light blue or any others making different colors. As it were, as long as they're moving around the tank doing their thing color isn't a huge deal.

Shame. It'd be cool if the blue velvet could breed with the snowballs and make a light blue or any others making different colors. As it were, as long as they're moving around the tank doing their thing color isn't a huge deal.
I did have a couple of pale blue shrimps a while back but I have a feeling they were just poor quality blue velvets. But I loved them!!

Can shrimp be treated for bacterial infections? Seems most treatments state that they are not safe for inverts 🤷‍♂️
I have used aquarium salt without issue for hydra in a shrimp tank but have no experience of treating shrimp disease, sorry.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back