What Is This?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

rhysiboy

Fish Addict
Reaction score
well i bought a coral yesterday that has two corals on it and after speaking with sianeds i think one part may be a sps - she suggested encrusting montipora so was wondering if anyone could confirm this? if it is then any tips for keeping sps?

piccy
P6300171.jpg

sorry i cant get much of a closer shot than that..

Looks like mushrooms on the top of the rock and some type of encrusting SPS on the bottom and right side of the rock. Usually SPS need more light and flow than mushrooms so it looks unusual to have both on one rock. :blink:

C'mon guys! Use your observational powers! :p Sure are Rhodactis on the top, but on the right hand side of the rock is some kind of encrusting coral. Im sorry, I dont have an ID but the polyps look too large for Montipora.

ive found out that its cyphastrea, a type of encrusting sps. Daym i need a light upgrade quick. Also i moved the mushrooms because they are invading the coral. I thin kthe whole of that rock used to be the cyphastrea but then the mushrooms invaded. SO now the rock is clean and scrubbed of all mushroom...ness

Cyphastrea for sure, and a color morph I've never seen before, nice find :good:

As you've noted, cyphastrea like a LOT of light, and are killed by even the sting of a mushroom. Lessons learned :good:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back