What is this ugly fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Michael G.

Reaction score
Can someone help me identify this catfish.
armored-catfish-2.jpg

It looks like a cross between a fish and a beetle :D

Hoplosternum littorale was my closest match but it just doesnt look exactly right.

I think if it isn't a Hoplosternum that it might be a Megalechis or possibly Dianema.

Having looked are I'd prob agree with you. Theres several but the Brown hoplo looks closest. What happened to it's barbles

This ugly fish was found in the mouth of a large catfish that tried to eat it. The ugly fish had impaled the large catfish in the head and that resulted in the death of the large catfish.

God, it looks big in the picture, or is it just camera trickery. What size was the big cat and is this Hoplo still okay or gone to the big fish in the sky ;)

Its a Hoplosternum Thoracatum............i have a friend that keeps these :D

Welcome Michael to the forum, I hope you will enjoy it here.
Talking about Catfish, has anyone heard anymore about the suspected catfish in North Yorkshire reputedly eating swans?

You mean the "WELS CATFISH" that some irresponsible prat threw in a river?...................no last i heard a young lad had caught it on rod and reel but didnt know what it was and so rereleased it :0 OPPS!!!!!, at that point i believe it was 6 or 7 feet long :0 and they reckon it'll wipe out nearly all local aquatic life including fish, birds and anything else unfortunate enough to end up in the water the size of a dog :0 .

The Wels Catfish is also know as the European Catfish and you can find pics of one at www.planetcatfish.com

These things are evil and you need a licence to keep one in this country i believe that they can also grow to over 8 feet!!!! :0

I will try to find the article i have on the lad that caught this particular one as i kept it from one of the newspapers it was in ;)

Most reactions

trending

Back