What is this on my plants?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BkkprGal

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just finished a 2 week salt treatment on 5/02 Monday and started 20% water changes every day. These Saggs have started turning brown just in the last few days, it's happened very fast. I do add Seachem Flourish, not much, and that did help when I first got the plant.

But anyhow - is this "fuzz"? Can I clean the plants off somehow? I have another small tank I can put them in to try to bring them back if possible.

I have LED lights and I just realized that I have them on probably 15 hours a day. I'll start decreasing that and putting a cover on as well since they are on the main room.

Attachments

• 20220505_204540.jpg
    20220505_204540.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 20220505_204557.jpg
    20220505_204557.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 73
Well crap, I just looked at the tank again this morning and I see that same stuff on the tank walls also. Dang it. I guess I need to completely strip the tank, scrub and put back together.

I just finished a 2 week salt treatment on 5/02 Monday and started 20% water changes every day. These Saggs have started turning brown just in the last few days, it's happened very fast. I do add Seachem Flourish, not much, and that did help when I first got the plant.

But anyhow - is this "fuzz"? Can I clean the plants off somehow? I have another small tank I can put them in to try to bring them back if possible.

I have LED lights and I just realized that I have them on probably 15 hours a day. I'll start decreasing that and putting a cover on as well since they are on the main room.
Does it look like cotton? Does it come off of the sides of the tank easily?

It could either be white algae (which is rare) or it could indicate a fungal infection in the tank.

There is no need for drastic action like tearing down the tank. The fuzz is black brush/beard algae. Like all "problem" algae, it is caused by an imbalance of light and nutrients. And the cure is to establish or re-establish the balance.

The light duration is likely the main issue here. Fifteen hours of "daylight" to the aquarium inhabitants is a lot. I would reduce this to 8 hours. This "day" period can be at any time of the day, and should be controlled by a timer. This will inhibit problem algae too, a consistent "day" period every 24 hours.

Continue the Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium (the full name of the product, as they make several different nutrient supplements but this is the only one to use in liquid) once a week, after the water change, at the dose recommended on the label.

Water changes are also important in algae control. Substantial (50-60%) of the tank volume once a week. Provided the parameters (being GH, pH and temperature) of tank water and tap water are basically the same you cannot do any harm with water changes. Also keep the filter well cleaned; the build-up of the brown sludge is organics and this feeds algae.

You mentioned salt--I don't see evidence of salt damage but be careful using salt. Only if absolutely necessary to treat "x" because salt harms fish internally, and can cause dehydration in plants.

I really appreciate your insights @Byron
The salt treatment was for a fugus infection.
I checked parameters yesterday and they are the same as they always are:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 20pm
pH - 7.8
Temp - 77°

I'm mad at myself for not checking here for other responses first (I didn't see any new email notifications), but I've already moved all the fish to a smaller tank. The plastic plants are soaking in a vinegar solution to kill the algae and then I'll scrub them and make sure all the vinegar is rinsed off.

I already removed 75% of the water, so per your advice I'll not remove the rest. I'll just wipe down the sides of the tank and shake out the filter. Next I'll get a timer for the light and fashion a cover for the tank.

I've had one problem after another since starting this tank in February. I've learned alot in the process, but I'm looking forward to being able to enjoy it instead of spending so much time troubleshooting and asking for help. B-)

Does it look like cotton? Does it come off of the sides of the tank easily?

It could either be white algae (which is rare) or it could indicate a fungal infection in the tank.
It looks like little white stubble hairs. There's alot alot of "stuff" floating around in the water - I wouldn't say the water is cloudy and I want to say they're like little filaments, but not necessarily of any particular length or size. I think it's just the same algae just floating around in the water. And I noticed some brown algae spots growing on a fabric plant and on the Sagg.

I moved the fish to another tank filled with the same tank water, but run through a coffee filter. That took out all the "stuff" floating in the water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back