What is this on my fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Alexis_loredo

Reaction score
I was doing a water change today and noticed that on one of my sunburst platy this weird looking thing right by itā€™s fin... but Iā€™m not sure what it is, does anyone have any idea what it is or have seen it before?

Attachments

• 052F8BF1-8A1B-4238-A606-1716D0C5B2B0.jpeg
    052F8BF1-8A1B-4238-A606-1716D0C5B2B0.jpeg
    69.8 KB · Views: 117
Pic is hard to see. Can we get a clearer pic. Does it look like a parasite attached to the fish? Could it be an anchor worm? How long have you had the fish?

Pic is hard to see. Can we get a clearer pic. Does it look like a parasite attached to the fish? Could it be an anchor worm? How long have you had the fish?
I have never had a fish with a parasite or anchor work before so I have no idea what to look for. This is the best picture I can get at the moment
B017CD59-09EB-48C8-8F3F-57AF2E623CC6.jpeg

Oh sorry and Iā€™ve had the fish for about a month now

I have no personal experience of this but that does look like pics I have seen of anchor worms.

I have never had anchor worms either but I understand that Potassium permanganate is suppose to be the best treatment. I would take a pic to my lfs and see what meds they have to treat it. Until then, Iā€™d do a bug water change and add salt because I know the parasite does not like salinity. Again, I only know this from reading about another person who had them. I would treat the entire tank.

This what the member on another forum used
upload_2019-11-16_10-37-2.jpeg

Does the 'thing' on the fish lie flat against it or stick out? Anchor worms usually stick out from the body.

The orange fish in the second photo - are its eyes really like that or is it just the way they look in this photo?

Does the 'thing' on the fish lie flat against it or stick out? Anchor worms usually stick out from the body.

The orange fish in the second photo - are its eyes really like that or is it just the way they look in this photo?
It looks like it sticks out. And no his eyes arenā€™t really like that lol it was just the picture and angle

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back