What is this on my fish? How do I treat?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Bloodparrot444

Reaction score
The employee at fish store had me purchase api fungus cure which is why the water is green. I treated yesterday and the white growth appears larger today. Please advise.

Attachments

• 3F1DAAF7-16D8-43C5-928F-074071781681.jpeg
    3F1DAAF7-16D8-43C5-928F-074071781681.jpeg
    127.9 KB · Views: 150
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Are you talking about the white worm like things just behind the eye?
If yes, this could be the start of hole in the head disease or head and lateral line disease. Both of these diseases are normally caused by a dirty environment.

Check the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. Post the results in numbers here.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day for a week. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter media in a bucket of tank water and re-use it. However, if the filter is new (less than 6 weeks old), then don't clean it unless the flow rate is reduced. Once the filter is established then you can clean it at least once a month and every 2 weeks is great.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Are you talking about the white worm like things just behind the eye?
If yes, this could be the start of hole in the head disease or head and lateral line disease. Both of these diseases are normally caused by a dirty environment.

Check the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. Post the results in numbers here.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day for a week. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter media in a bucket of tank water and re-use it. However, if the filter is new (less than 6 weeks old), then don't clean it unless the flow rate is reduced. Once the filter is established then you can clean it at least once a month and every 2 weeks is great.

Thank you? What should I do relating to my current API fungus cure treatment. I am supposed to dose again tomorrow at noon. Also , should I start the API general cure treatment if it is joke in the head? I currently do not have the filters in because I am treating with API Fungus cure. 1st dosage was yesterday at noon.

Thanks!

You should have a filter running whenever you treat fish with chemicals. Remove carbon from filters before treating. You should also increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels in the water. And wipe down the inside of the glass before treatment.

I would stop the fungus cure for a week while you do daily water changes and gravel cleans. Then see how the fish looks after that. If it hasn't improved after the water changes then use the API General Cure.

The person at the pet store said to remove the filters. So, are you saying I should just remove the back/black portion that has the carbon of my filter and leave the blue portion?

The only thing that needs to be removed during treatment is carbon because it will remove the medication. If the blue is a sponge, that can stay there.
Removing the whole filter means you have removed a lot of the bacteria that deal with fish waste and you could have a build up of ammonia in the water.

Possibly the person at the fish store thinks that all filters contain nothing but carbon cartridges. Never believe anything a shop worker says still you've researched it yourself.

Thank you! So hole in the head can resolve on its own? I just did a 75% water change and put the filters back in place. I will not continue the api fungus

Mild cases of hole in the head disease can sometimes clear up on their own, but if it hasn't improved after a week of water changes and gravel cleaning, then you will need to treat. But try cleaning first because it is cheaper and safer than medications. :)

Also, might anyone recommend a reputable test kit?

Most of use the API master set which contains testers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH, both middle and high range. The nitrate tester needs to be shaken as per the instructions. Actually, shake the bottle more than it says, but shake the tube as it says.

The employee at fish store had me purchase api fungus cure which is why the water is green. I treated yesterday and the white growth appears larger today. Please advise.
My fish all got cottony fungus because my son put 2 endlers from the wild in, and I was so upset. All my show quality green guppy fry died, and half my green/blue fry, one of my adult guppy's died. I used the green API fungus cure as directed and it managed to keep the rest of my guppies alive, and helped kill any lingering fungus, after about 5 days from the day I put first treatment in, I did a 70% water change, and the water still had a tinge of green, however, the filter cleared it up within a day or two. Your best bet is to continue with the treatments, make sure you removed the fish that had clear signs of illness and put them into a special hospital tank so it can heal and the other fish stay healthy. Be sure the sick fish are clear of all illness for about 2 weeks before putting back into the community tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back